Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2016 02:00

Dell XPS 13 L321X - Won't boot past Dell screen

Hi,

I recently rescued a Dell XPS 13 L321X from my place of work. The laptop appears to have system board issues. The mSATA disc has been removed and kept by the company, so there is currently no HDD in the laptop. I've tried to boot to the Dell ePSA test, but I'm not able to. When the laptop powers up, it starts with the Dell screen and sits there and I hear no POST beep. The laptop unfortunately has ran out of Dell warranty and I'd really like to save this laptop to have for personal use. I've removed the keyboard and used an external one, but no help. I've also removed the battery and discharged any outstanding static in the system, to see if that would help. I'd really appreciate if someone could give me a few pointers on how to diagnose what has broken here so I can get it replaced.

Many thanks

July 8th, 2016 22:00

Hi Tazzene11

Thanks for writing to us. 

Please run diagnostics from the f12 menu and let  us know the outcome. 

If possible remove the memory modules and try with one module at a time. 

Have you tried put in a HD and boot up? 

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

2 Posts

July 9th, 2016 08:00

Hi Dell-Hema,

Unfortunately the keyboard doesn't work or the machine crashes on the Dell screen, so I can't get it to boot to the BIOS nor Diagnostics.

The memory modules are soldered on to the board, so I'm unable to remove each module to test. It has beeped 4 times once, since I've had it, which I know is a memory fault.

I don't have an mSata available, as I don't want to purchase one to test.

I've PM'd you the details you require. Can you give me to system board specs so I can price up a replacement, please.

Regards

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 9th, 2016 08:00

The CPU on this model is part of the mainboard, so it needs to be replaced along with the board.  They'll run between $250-350 depending on the CPU:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

No Events found!