Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2016 15:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Battery not charging

Seems I am now regretting my purchase of a new Dell XPS 15 Laptop.

Purchased on 20th September 2016, and seems as of 5 days ago the battery already needs replacing.

LED on front of laptop just flashes orange, battery status button on the side has LED's 1, 3 and 5 lit.

In Windows 10 Battery says "Plugged in, Not Charging" with 79% available

In BIOS battery says "Battery needs replacing", AC Adapter - 130w and 79% charged.

Laptop will no longer work on battery, has to have AC adapted plugged in and when removed it'll just power off.

After the fact I enabled the USB power option (charging phones etc. when laptop is off) and it doesn't charge without AC Adapter plugged in.

Rather annoyed at myself, I have always avoided Dell but I went against my gut instinct and spent £1400 on a laptop that is no longer fit for purpose.

Guess it's time to buy a replacement battery and never buy anything from dell again

2K Posts

November 18th, 2016 12:00

Hi FLIP99,

I have received your private message and have responded to it.

The warranty type and service depends upon country of purchase, as the consumer laws are different for different countries. 

I shall have this info verified and keep you posted during business hours.

2K Posts

November 18th, 2016 13:00

Hi FLIP99,

I have already written to the relevant teams. They, however, work only during business hours. 

As per Dell standard hardware warranty, for any technical failure(without any damage), the parts are covered under warranty for one year or until the warranty period from the date of invoice as per our records, as sold with the system.

However, in this case, the warranty that is sold does not show up as Dell parts only warranty. It shows up as CSTM Dixon - 15M Parts Only. 

This is what I need to clarify and once I get any relevant response, I shall keep you posted accordingly.

9 Posts

November 18th, 2016 13:00

DELL-Rishi,

Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Maybe it is me being pessimistic but it sounds like you are laying out the foundations to backtrack on your previous post since you said "If you are able to remove a specific part, then the part can be replaced by yourself under Dell Warranty terms "

UK Consumer Law is pretty good to be fair regardless if you (Manufacturer & Retailer) cannot agree who should be responsible for repairing/replacing the laptop, YOU BOTH ARE! I have the legal right to getting the laptop repaired or replaced, Consumer Law for Retailer and Warranty Contract for DELL - both rather easy to challenge in a UK small claims court.

It is just a shame that both Dell and PC World treat their customers with such disregard.

lol and I just realised, I would even save them money if they just sent me the battery to fit myself.

9 Posts

November 18th, 2016 14:00

DELL-Rishi

Sounds like what I was told over the phone by DELL is correct then.

Dixons Group = PC World, so I would assume CSTM Dixon means Dixons Group

Your website gives false information if that is the case

2K Posts

November 18th, 2016 15:00

Hi FLIP99,

Lets await a response from the relevant team.

I request your patience until then. 

I shall keep you posted once I get any relevant updates.

2K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 02:00

Hi FLIP99,

Update from the concerned team. 

Parts only warranty holds good for all parts on the system on the machine and will be supported by Dell.

I have private messaged you more info. Kindly read and respond accordingly.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

62 Posts

November 28th, 2016 14:00

I had the exact same problem with my Dell (out of the box battery did exactly as you state after only about a week of usage).

Definitely worth noting here the problem might not even be battery related. I spent over three months troubleshooting this issue (and others) with Dell, including a battery replacement, and a motherboard replacement.

The replaced battery also gave up on me after a week.

I now received an entire new laptop (including new charger, which who knows, might also be at fault), and the problem has not resurfaced.

I'm still waiting for countless software issues to be fixed though. If still possible (within one month usually), I recommend a full refund.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2017 06:00

I am having the same issue with battery not working and laptop running only on AC adapter. The problem started when I plugged in my laptop to Euro 220 volts power. It seams to me that this is now a big issue with Dell XPS laptops.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 21st, 2017 09:00

Be on the watch with your new system as well -- it may take time, but it's just as likely you'll face the same issue with the Macbook Pro.

missionrepair.wordpress.com/.../

9 Posts

Maybe, thats the old version macbook at quick glance of the pictures ... anyway AppleCare should sort that out if and when it happens - its already lasted longer than the dell, and been worked more than the dell :)

9 Posts

So I DELL-Rishi did sort me out a new laptop battery all was fine for a couple of months and then the touch pad started becoming useless.

Long story short - Battery cells swell and put pressure on the touchpad making it unuseable. Private Messaged Rishi who pointed me to a DELL-Infant in August.

Gave up with the dell - need to work, more important stuff to do than fix a problem for the 2nd time, spent £3.5k on a Macbook pro - Perfect - still working not one fault lol

Anyway thought i better chase up Rishi/Infant again and took some pictures of this battery - removed because i deem it unsafe - and it'll end up damaging the case

More Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/BtpLi

No Events found!