Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 10th, 2017 14:00

Dell XPS 15 9560, Bsod, screen flick, freeze...

Hi, 

Newly owner of a XPS 15 9560 (16go, 4k) since 4 weeks.

Even though my experience started with some regular freezes (computer freezes for 5 seconds, every 5~10 minutes) and had obvious screen flicker issues, I didn't worry more than that, I didn't use the laptop that much...

This week, I started to use it more intensively, and I had some BSOD : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. As this occured each time I tried to connect to a WIFI network, I thought it was a driver issue related to the WIFI controller. 
I replaced the existing driver with the one available on Killer Networking website (more up to date)

Once on Windows, I had another BSOD : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
I decided to use Dell Update to update everyting needed, the diagnostic page listed 3 or 4 component : a chipset, Intel graphic card, and BIOS.

I did the update for all of the components, ending with the BIOS. Since, I have chained BSODs :

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

I tried to do Windows saving point restore, but it doesn't go to then end (I have a message telling Windows canno't restore file system)

I tried to do a reset of the OS, no success

Finally, I did a factory reset with the help of the Dell Utility tool.

And it's just getting worse and worse. I have BSODs or screen flickering and crashes, sometimes when I'm under Windows user login, sometimes even before.

Made some videos to show you : 

I'm feeling unlucky to have received a disfunctional model. Am I good to send it back to Dell ? 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 10th, 2017 18:00

" Finally, I did a factory reset with the help of the Dell Utility tool ".

:emotion-2:

Too many software problems to try fixing,therefore I'd suggest you do a clean install of windows 10.

How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10, the Easy Way

After you install windows 10, reinstall drivers in correct (Installation) order.

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

May 11th, 2017 03:00

Hi @LSUFAN51 and thx for your help,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your 1st link mention about performing a reset with the Reset Feature of Windows 10, which does almost the same thing than a fresh install. I'm not sure it will change anything  but I'll try anyway. My doubt is about the product key : ate current Windows 10 came OEM with the machine. How can I get the product key ? I tried to get it from the command line (wmic path....) but it doesn't work (not found)

May 11th, 2017 06:00

Ok I tried to start a fresh installation of WIn10 with the help of WIndows Media Creation Tool.

When I'm on the screen where I have to choose between an update or a advanced installation, I choose advanced. Then on the next screen, I normally have to set where I do want to install Windows: nothing appear in the table, no trace of any disk or partition... refreshing make nothing or clicking on "charging a driver" leads nowhere...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 11th, 2017 07:00

I'm assuming you came upon the screen similar to the picture below:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 11th, 2017 08:00

If yes, please watch video in the link below, start at 3:20 mark.

How-To Guide - Windows 10 - Clean Install - USB Thumb Drive

Don't know why but the picture you seem to publish doesn't appear.

Anyway, I just found this topic on Reddit, about doing a fresh install : www.reddit.com/.../

and it tells the first driver needed is the Intel Rapid Storage, you have to download it and include it on the USB drive.

Maybe it's the reason why I don't see anything in the list of disk/partition

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

DlafCreative, after looking at your video the first think I thought of was a problem with your Video memory.  I suppose a bad connection might be involved.

The situation could be a driver problem but I have never seen a display that bad and my 4K has never even blinked.

If you want to reinstall, start with an in-place upgrade if your system is stable enough for it to complete.

I would really like to have a chance to analyze some of your dump files but I have had very little success reading dump files from the Creator's Build.

May 11th, 2017 13:00

I finished my clean installation of Windows a bit earlier, everything looked stable.

15 minutes later, I had a BSOD ... Made a reboot, then installed Chrome (no more). I had no interruption for about 2 hours, giving me good hope.

I just came back home from work, and restarted the XPS and unfortunately, BDODs are here again at Windows startup systematically...

"STOP 0×00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA – dxgkrnl.sys"

I made some research on the BIOS v1.2.4 and it seems some users have their devices briked (stuck on Dell Logo mainly) after flashing it. I followed the advices to resolve it, I went into the ePSA by holding Fn + power on and started all the test : every test pass ok. So I don't know...

Some speak about switching between AHCI and Speedshift, I don't know what it involves...

I thinking about downgrading into original BIOS. Even though I had screen flicker and freezing, at least my computer was something like "more useable" than now. How can I find old BIOS ?

May 11th, 2017 13:00

@Saltgrass : the ePSA tests also check video card connection, and it passes in green. I don't know how reliable it is...

23 Posts

May 11th, 2017 14:00

I wasn't aware of problems with the 1.2.4 BIOS. I flashed it last week -- seems to be working fine. As a matter of fact, I wound up doing the BIOS update, and then the Thunderbolt driver updates, so I'd be able to use the 3GMVT / TB16 Thunderbolt dock. BIOS seems fine here - no issues, despite 10+ hours a day of heavy use.

I looked up your BSOD error message, and one site appears to list a number of likely / common causes. Might be worth taking a look:

www.solvusoft.com/.../

May 11th, 2017 15:00

@jonstrong : thx for it. yes, I already looked the content this site. It doesn't really help cause most of the pb can be swept by a clean install. Except the hardware issues but as I said above, ePSA test says everything is ok on the hardware side...

I'm now facing a message of Dell Support Assist at bootup : "SupportAssist detected a high system temperature... if this problem recurs, please call Dell Support with error code #M1004"

Worse and worse ... :'D

23 Posts

May 11th, 2017 15:00

@DlafCreative - sorry to hear that this continues. The only other thing I did was to NOT rely solely on the Dell driver manager to detect which drivers I needed updated: I went to the "do it yourself" option, and compared the available driver versions to what was installed on my XPS 15, and manually downloaded and installed all available updates.

Prior to the updates (BIOS, drivers, NVidia and Intel software, etc.) I was having some issues. Never had an overheat issue, but I DID see a couple of messages a few weeks ago (prior to the updates) complaining that a fan had raised an error -- but when I ran the diagnostics, the fan checked out OK (?). Since doing all the updates, the machine has run flawlessly.

If you've updated everything, and Dell still can't solve your issues, what warranty options do you have? I'd think they should be pretty good, since the machine is so new. I can attest to the fact that when all is working as it should, this is an awesome machine. I urge you to not settle for anything less than it functioning perfectly.

Jon

May 11th, 2017 17:00

@jonstrong : agree with you about the quality of this machine, that's why it's so frustrating. The few time I could work with, it seems to be very powerful, beautifully designed and comfortable to use, not mention about the 4K screen.

I'm just so sad and unlucky to run into a bad and disfunctional model.

Now where I am : I just ended up doing a downgrade of BIOS to version 1.1.3

Once again, it was an obstacle course... in total, I re-installed Windows 4 times, because the system was stable only the first 5 minutes without rebooting, and it was the only span of time where I could execute the BIOS update file.

So far... the computer didn't freeze, crash or have BSOD. Even the light under keyboard reappeared (I didn't notice light was off until)

Windows automatically searched for every missing drivers and there's nothing unknown in the device manager.

I'll need tomorrow to update some drivers that may not up to date (like the Wifi controller)

Let's see if it still stand...

May 12th, 2017 05:00

And sadly, my XPS keeps crashing...

I have no more BSOD, but the computer brutally and randomly shutdown. I have many symptoms : black screen, Dell logo in loop over and over again, Dell support Assist screen after the logo, telling me

"Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program

Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program"

I went into the BIOS setup to check and set the right time. It's like every parameters were cleared.

I also had the Windows repair process in loop (impossible to restore point, no windows found). Going to the BIOS and set the SATA Operation from RAID on to AHCI allowed me to get to WIndows login screen (don't know why), but it crashes after anyway...

I'm done.

May 12th, 2017 06:00

"... Couldn't repair your computer"

And then randomly shutdown.

Can't access to log file generated (c:/windows/system32/logfiles/srt/srtTrail.txt) as I can't have a stable access into Windows

No Events found!