Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

July 26th, 2012 11:00

Dell XPS 15 L502X: Popping noise coming from the right speaker when there's no music playing?

It sounds like plastic on a fire, except slower. It happens at random times and it's been like this since I got my laptop (mid-May), but it's getting a lot worse. Happened four times in two hours today, and usually I only notice it every other day.

Anyone else had this problem? What's it caused by? I'm going to have someone take a look at it, but that most likely won't be until next week.

113 Posts

July 26th, 2012 11:00

Hi,

Welcome to Dell community forums.

You will have to know what software or processes are running on the background in order to find out what is causing the popping noise if it comes from the speakers. Many of the websites are nowadays using background processes (called AJAX technology) while we are browsing, that may cause an occasional clicking or popping sound. It should not be harmful if it is the site's background activities are causing it.

But there are some things you can do to try and isolate its cause.

First of all, I would want to rule out the most obvious: sounds coming through the speaker. Turn the volume control all the way off or disable the audio system by going to the Sounds control that is part of the Control Panel. If the noise stops, then you would seem to have either a failing sound system, a problem with the connection to the speaker which is causing a popping sound or a program that is generating a popping sound. But none of these sounds will come through if the sound system is turned off. Try to connect the headphones and check if you still hear that kind of noise.

Now, assuming the sound continues, I would suggest you to  run the Dell Diagnostics.

In Order to Run the Dell Diagnostics, kindly click on the below mentioned URL to get the instructions on How to run the PSA Diagnostics , and an Error Code list with Possible solutions:

Dell.to/eR01lf

3) The last step I can recommend to you is that kindly go ahead and update the Audio driver of your computer by going to this URL:

Dell.to/uIo3ef

Please reply in case you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Debbie_B

Dell Social Media Responder

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

http://twitter.com/#%21/dell

http://www.youtube.com/user/dellvlog?blend=1&ob=4

3 Posts

July 28th, 2012 17:00

I ran Dell Diagnostics, apparantly there's nothing wrong with my laptop at all. But the noise is still there. I hear it regardless if the volume is turned completely down (I actually don't recall hearing it when playing music). I don't hear it through my headphones at all. I'm starting to think it's got something to do with the Cd-rom, even though there's nothing that would indicate it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 30th, 2012 05:00

I ran Dell Diagnostics, apparantly there's nothing wrong with my laptop at all. But the noise is still there.

If you hear the noise while running Dell Diagnostics audio tests then there is a hardware problem, in which case you should contact Dell tech support for a repair if you are still under warranty.

113 Posts

July 30th, 2012 16:00

Hi,

I would want to rule out the most obvious: sounds coming through the speaker. Turn the volume control all the way off or disable the audio system by going to the Sounds control that is part of the Control Panel. If the noise stops, then you would seem to have either a failing sound system, a problem with the connection to the speaker which is causing a click or a program that is generating a click. But none of these sounds will come through if the sound system is turned off.

Now, assuming the sound continues: I would think there are a few other possibilities.

1) The fan could be clicking/popping. This is one of the few moving parts of the computer (along with the hard disk drive and the CD or DVD drive). A failing fan could make noise. Put your ear to the output of the fan and try and determine if the sound comes from there.

2) And now the hard disks drive. In most laptops, the location of the hard disk drive is obvious. Find the hard disk drive and put your ear to it to try and determine if it is the source.

Please reply in case you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Debbie_B

Dell Social Media Responder

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

http://twitter.com/#%21/dell

http://www.youtube.com/user/dellvlog?blend=1&ob=4

1 Message

November 27th, 2013 12:00

Hello, I realise this is an old thread but I have the same problem on my Dell XPS15 L502x.

Regardless of what the sound card is supposed to be doing I occasionally get a random mix of popping/rustling/whitenoise sound coming from the right speaker. Sound appears at random for ~20s then stops. It's pretty annoying.

It is difficult to notice when music is playing so most noticed when nothing is making sound, but during the problem playing music works but has rustling over the top from the right speaker. Soundcard seems to otherwise function correctly. It isn't affected by volume/muting. Definitely coming from the speaker rather than other components. Unplugging mains will often silence it; I'm not sure if this means it is related to power management or just something changes as it goes into powersaving mode.

I ran preboot diagnostics which found nothing. I also think it made the noise during the diagnostics but am not sure

Any help would be much appreciated.

Simon

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 27th, 2013 15:00

Hello. Test with headphones. If the noise does not come through headphones and only comes through one speaker, then most likely a hardware problem. To confirm, use a different driver.

If you are currently using the manufacturer's driver (Realtek), then remove it from the laptop. If you have windows 7 go to the Control Panel and in the upper right corner select View by Category, then select "remove a program". Remove the driver. When you re-boot then Windows will install its native audio driver. Check in the Sound properties to make sure that the manufacturer's driver is gone -- if it is gone you will no longer see its name on any of the tabs. If you still see its name then repeat the process of removing it. Windows will keep installing all copies of the driver that you have downloaded until all have been removed, then install its own driver.

If the problem is there with both the manufacturer's driver and the native driver, then it is almost certainly in the speaker.

14 Posts

February 12th, 2015 02:00

Owner of an L502X running Windows 8.1 64bit. GT540M GPU.

I have buzz noise coming out from my speaker/headphones frequently (once a minute) when playing music or videos. It lasts for less than a second, but when it does it disrupts whatever is playing, and also hangs the computer. The lower the volume of my speakers, the quieter the buzz noise.

It's the same buzz sound that I had when my PC crashed during gaming. I solved that problem by underclocking my GPU.

But only recently this problem occurs, and it's irritating. I don't think it's a problem with drivers.

No Events found!