Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2014 07:00

Dell XPS 9530 - games using integrated card instead of GeForce

Hi

I have a new Dell XPS 9530 with integrated Intel graphics 4600 and GeForce GT 750M. Windows 8.1 with media centre, 64 bit.

When I run a more demanding game I get good performance for a few minutes then it drops down to something like 10 frames per second. After exiting the game I can see this blue icon in system tray representing the Intel graphics. This is how I came up to an assumption the Intel card is being used in games.

In NVIDIA Control Panel I've set "High-performance NVIDIA processor" as a preferred graphics processor but it didn't change a thing. I have the latest drivers and always update NVIDIA Experience to the latest one.

It's rather disappointing to have a good hardware but not being able to use it.

Does anyone have any idea how to enforce Windows to use GeForce card in games instead of the weak Intel one?

3 Posts

March 1st, 2014 15:00

My XPS 15 showed up a few weeks ago.

I did have throttling issues.  Games would run solid for 10 mins, and then drop down to 10-20 fps.

I've found a solution that works for me, however.  

I use NVidia Inspector to limit the framerate to 30fps.  Now it runs at 30fps for hours, instead of 60fps for 10 mins then 10fps.  http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/nvidia_inspector_download.html

Even demanding games like MWO and Star Citizen run perfectly at solid 30fps for hours without throttling.

Hope that helps.  Would be even better if Dell put in adequate cooling in these things, though.  Obviously the GPU is far more capable than the cooling allows for.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 26th, 2014 08:00

Bear in mind the nVidia GPU cannot function without the Intel GPU - ONLY the Intel GPU has a connection to the display panel.  All video data - even that from the nVidia GPU - runs though the Intel GPU on its way to being displayed, so you will always see the Intel GPU as active.

This is the way the system is designed to function.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If the system starts to heat up, it will throttle back the CPU to lower the temperature.   Is it running abnormally warm?

4 Posts

OK, didn't know about this, thanks.

How would you explain the fact that after a few minutes of playing, the game slows down dramatically to the point it's impossible to play?

Is there an easy way to test the performance of my graphic card?

4 Posts

January 26th, 2014 10:00

I've reduced some video settings and played for about an hour. The game quit on me twice but I don't think this was related to the original problem :)

While playing I tracked my temperatures. Screenshot below.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2014 13:00

I think the default power plan uses passive cooling.  if you change the power profile to max performance (or modify the Dell power plan to use active cooling) you should see better results.  Could be wrong  (still waiting on delivery of my 9530) but I know many people game without throttling on this beasty.  :)

17 Posts

February 10th, 2014 07:00

You can check what card is being used by running by

Run -> dxdiag

Under Display you should see HD4600

and Under Render you should see GT 750M

I am however very disappointed that Dell haven't added an option in the BIOS so we can force to use the better GPU all the time, which is possible with setups in Nvidia Optimus

3 Posts

March 1st, 2014 08:00

Just want to add here that I am also facing this issue. Even with old games like GTA4, it throttles down within 5 minutes. Its really disappointing. Mine is the one with SSD. I have the power options set to high performance with active cooling. 

Please remove the 'this question is answered' flag. Its still an issue.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 1st, 2014 09:00

It is only possible to add that option when the system is designed with a hardware multiplexer (MUX).  The Dell systems are MUX-less - they are entirely software controlled, so even a BIOS option will not help.

The Optimus software is the only way to direct the operation of the GPU.

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 19:00

Thanks zacpod. Your method seems to work. I played for some time without any problems. I will do extensive testing tomorrow and post back here.

4 Posts

March 4th, 2014 01:00

Hi

I changed the correct answer as the previous answer didn't really fix anything, just made me understand the issue a bit better.

So in general we have a good hardware but we're not able to use it. I'm a bit disappointed. 

1 Message

February 9th, 2015 05:00

I have the same issue in World of tanks. I manage to solve this:

- go to Nvidia geforce Experience (in taskbar)

-open nvidia control panel

- and there you have global and program settings

- you have than Power managment mode - i set this to nvidia driver - controlled on program and global settings

- this solved a problem in my case

Igor

December 24th, 2015 01:00

You legend. This sorted my issue playing Portal 2! Thanks!

No Events found!