Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2011 08:00

Dell XPS M1530 not powering up, worked fine for 3 years

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS M1530 which has been working perfectly fine for the last three years. Recently, it's refusing to load up. Initially, when I pressed the power button, it was showing the num lock sign and not powering up. After running the diagnostics test with the fn+power keys, the diagnostics were fine but now it just isn't powering up at all. When I press the fn+power button again, the num lock icon is blinking, and the other two lights are staying static. Please help. I need this resolved asap.

Calling tech support isn't an option, since my warranty has conveniently expired. I recently had my hard drive, cd drive and keyboard replaced but this is entirely unrelated. It's not a hard drive issue. I've done a ton of reading on this and it seems like it's either a nVIDIA gpu issue, or it's some other issue. The system was bought while I was in the US and I've been in the UK for the last year, where I was covered under international warranty. Now that it's run out, my XPS has decided to start giving me issues, and apparently I'm not the only one.

If there is some way that this issue can be resolved, I need it. PLEASE HELP ME!!

ETA: Initially, it was a power issue. I changed my AC adapter, the battery was charging and it was working yesterday. When I shut it down last night and tried turning it on again this morning, that's when the issue restarted.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 4th, 2011 08:00

Flashing NUM, steady caps+scroll is a processor error.  Try reseating the CPU (remove and reinstall it).  Then clean off the old thermal pad and apply a new one.   If the system won't then power up, the mainboard is bad.

9 Posts

September 5th, 2011 04:00

How does this suddenly happen, though? One day it's fine, the second poof. Any manuals for opening the laptop up? :$ My originals aren't with me...

TIA

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 5th, 2011 05:00

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

1 Message

February 2nd, 2012 18:00

Same problem at the same time 3 years just after my warranty is up

No Events found!