Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

October 31st, 2005 18:00

Dell doesn't stand behind thier Product

After only 5 months my smart card reader went out and Dell decided that I would have to pay thier high prices to have it fix, I think that is wrong and they should stand behind thier product and fix it. All you ever get on the phone is the runaround from someone in india that doesn't know anything anyway or the number in the states you can talk to someone that is up the ladder that can do something for you. I will no longer do any business with Dell

Mitch

October 31st, 2005 20:00

They do stand behind their product... for the duration of the warranty. You can get a card reader for about $25, I would think that that is your best bet. Best of luck!

4 Posts

October 31st, 2005 23:00

well im talking about something that is only 5 months old, brand new. weather or not you have a warr. or not the should fix it for no cost to any one. sorry thats just how i feel

3 Posts

November 1st, 2005 03:00

I know EXACTLY what oyu are talking about! I am sick of the poeple in India who have NO idea what they are doing. Poor people.

658 Posts

November 1st, 2005 04:00

OK, maybe i read things wrong and if so, then everything that follows may not apply at all, but that completely defeats the purpose of warranty!!! You had the option to purchase it. There's a reason they give warranty. Things go bad and break, others are defective to begin with. Thus you have a warranty period to find out have these parts replaced. You knew what the contract was when you purchased it, you can't blame them for sticking to the deal that was originally agreed on.

That being said, thats just my thoughts on warranty in general whether for a car, a tv, stereo or a computer. If it's something expensive, and generally prone to failure or simply costly to fix like a high end tv or notebook (specifically, not a desktop) then i always purchase warranty. Too many small components that are exact and not cheap to replace!

3 Posts

Yeah I have a waranty. It's just getting the support you need to fix the problem. It has nothing to do with whether or not I have a warranty.

658 Posts

@Smeeklers wrote:
Yeah I have a waranty. It's just getting the support you need to fix the problem. It has nothing to do with whether or not I have a warranty.

that part i'll partially agree to. I generally have things troubleshot to the point that if i explain myself well, there's not much troubleshooting to do, which probably helps. In canada, we generally only have two phone numbers to phone for computer help, business or home user, so i haven't had much trouble with that. But i seem to hear a lot about people in the states having trouble getting thru to the wrong department.

99 Posts

November 1st, 2005 10:00

Any mechanical part can break at any given time, and that's just statistics.  If a user chooses to have just a default 90 day out of the box warranty and within 2 months of that time something breaks...then it was a roll of the dice that they lost.  Plain and simple.  Dell should hold no accountability to repair a system that is out of warranty regardless of how much time has passed.

It irks me to see people take the low road on warranty and then complain when a company fails to "stand behind their product".  The onus is on the end user to make sure a warranty is in place.  If they choose to leave it alone and not get an extended warranty, then it's their own fault.

Sorry, but saying they won't stand behind their now out of warranty product is baseless.

4 Posts

November 1st, 2005 16:00

Guys, all i am really saying is I think when you buy something I think it should last more then 5 months, dang, does not anyone think that a manufacturing place should make something that works more then 6 months. Are we so use to buying things today that we have to accually spend more for something in case it doesn't work, So what I think I am hearing is that the price of something isn't the price, it's almost $200 more to insure that it will work,,,,,,,,,,, I paid a fair price for it I'm not complaining about that, I just expect it to work alittle longer then it did.

Message Edited by Biker43 on 11-01-2005 12:15 PM

Message Edited by Biker43 on 11-01-2005 12:16 PM

November 1st, 2005 21:00

The real issue is that consumers (as a whole) are demanding lower prices, and don't care if they have to sacrifice quality and durability to get them. A prime example of this is your issue... Dell wouldn't sell as many laptops if they added on the warranty price, because people don't want to pay that much, so they cut the price, but still allow you to purchase coverage if durability is important to you.

And what do you do? You decide to not get a warranty, and to save $200. Dell is doing exactly what their customers are demanding they do.

4 Posts

November 1st, 2005 22:00

For one thing, you don't have a clue how much money I have spent with Dell, It happens to be quite a bit, all I want is for something to work longer then 5 months. Apparently some people have all the money in the world, but I don't, I do however expect things to last for alittle more then this did.

Biker

658 Posts

November 1st, 2005 23:00

bottom line is, on a new computer, dell guarantee's it for 90 days (i believe thats the shortest contract currenlty).

1 Message

November 3rd, 2005 14:00

I have to totally agree that they don't stand behind their product-- warranty or otherwise.  I spent the extra money for the 3-year warranty and have had trouble getting them to fix or replace things.

Consequently, this past summer, when it was time to get a new desktop, I didn't buy a Dell. 

Right now, I have a problem with my 5100 booting up (or not booting up) and am unable to get any help from them.  My system still has just under a year of the 3-year warranty remaining.

No Events found!