Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2014 22:00

Dell inspiron 15-3521 LCD Problem

I replaced my laptops lcd screen and the lcd cable. when i turned it back on it stayed black but I noticed that there was a change in the screen because it went from a grayish black to a deeper black. I ran the lcd test and i could see that the screen was changing colors but the screen was very dark.

i connected the laptop to an external monitor and was able to use my laptop.

I am thinking that the lcd inverter is the problem here but I dont know how to verify that and I cant seem to find where the inverter is.

Does it sound like the inverter is the problem?

615 Posts

January 26th, 2014 00:00

Hi Alexthefourth,

(corrected)

1) If you observe change in color / density / saturation when powering on and in diagnostics there is a video signal to the LCD layer of your display

2) CCFL or Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp display backlights are the only display configurations that require an inverter. LED backlit panels don't have the lower voltage higher current requirements of CCFL's. These are not-so-slowly giving way to the more reliable less expensive LED displays.

3) The large connection on the display is usually located too far out of reach or so close that you'd have lots of extra slack in the ribbon to mistakenly use the wrong one. Emphasis on the word USUALLY.

5) The inverter assembly is usually located on the display assembly just behind the front bezel just below the display (as seen with bezel off)...but not always. again ...(corrected)

6) Double check the part numbers against the originals to verify that both cable and LCD are compatible. 

7) I am attempting to locate the service manual so I have better idea what your up against. Please try to have the part numbers handy so we can compare notes

January 26th, 2014 09:00

i'll open the laptop back up and check the part numbers of the new parts vs the old parts.

January 26th, 2014 10:00

="alexthefourth"]

i'll open the laptop back up and check the part numbers of the new parts vs the old parts.

hi! guy just do the follow below

1 open your pc

2 chek VGA cheap where if you understand what i mean

3 use frask oil and heaterbrower to hit it then press this cheap

4 i think your machne is willbe ok then go insite download its driver

thanks

January 27th, 2014 23:00

hello, im back.

so i checked the part numbers. the old screen is B156Xw04 V5. and the new one is B156XTN03.2

So i know that they are different. but is the new one not compatible with the inspiron 15-3521?

615 Posts

January 28th, 2014 00:00

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately they aren't compatible. BOTH are AU Optronics displays but the old part is a 15.6" W04 rev.5 and the new one is a 15.6"XTN03 rev.2

The obvious symptom of the led backlight not coming on is a dead giveaway that power for the backlight is not on the right pinset for your model. If you want to read through a pretty good example of how precisely LCD have to be matched up go to that great big auction site and look for the item number 120960427901. You'd be guaranteed the right part if you ordered it from Dell but I don't remember what year the 3521 came out...Q4 2011 I think. ANYWAY I hope that helps. If this is the answer you needed please remember to hit the YES button. 

No Events found!