Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2012 09:00

Dell inspiron 5010 does not boot up.

Hi,

I'm having trouble with booting up my Inspiron 5010 from last couple of days.

I tried few things and understood that its not able to boot through the harddisk. It gives me below error message.

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)

Copyright(c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation 

This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents:

US5,307,459,US5,343,872,US5,732,094,US6,570,884,US6,115,776 and

US6,327,625

Realtek PCIe FE FAmily Controller SEries v1.9

Its not able to get the image from the image drive. It is able to see the image drive but not able to access it.

I ran the pre boot diagnostic and did not find any errors.

When i press F2 it is able to find the harddisk.

It does not take F8.

I tried to boot through repair disk and restore. Its not able to restore completely, and gives error while finishing the restore. It did finish it a couple of time but was not able to boot up properly after that.

I tried to install the windows newly. It did install it correctly and i'm able to see 3 copies of windows on the drive now. But still it does not boot.

Can you please help on this.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 13th, 2012 09:00

Hi PritPM,

I would like to know if there is any message after the Dell logo at start up or if the system is hanging while the Windows is loading. 

I suggest that you to run an extensive test on the HDD. To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes.  Next Press N for no when it asks you to continue Memory test.

Next the option listed will be: ‘Test Memory’, ‘Test System’ and Exit. Please select ‘Test System’.  Then there will be option to run ‘Express test’, ‘Extended Test’, ‘Custom Test’ and ‘Symptom Tree’. Select Custom test and click on HDD and hit enter.

Reply with the status of the test for further assistance.

2 Posts

December 14th, 2012 08:00

After the dell Logo i get below error message

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)

Copyright(c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents:

US5,307,459,US5,343,872,US5,732,094,US6,570,884,US6,115,776 and

US6,327,625

Realtek PCIe FE FAmily Controller SEries v1.9

I ran the pre-boot diagnostic test without any errors. Ran the HDD test as

directed by you. It ran for more than 6 hours and passed all tests.

Thanks for you response. Waiting for next step.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 17th, 2012 14:00

Hi PritPM,

Since the custom test on the HDD has passed, I suspect the Operating system is corrupted. You may have to clean install the Operating system.

615 Posts

May 1st, 2014 00:00

Hi SSAI,

Your laptop is looking for a Network Boot because it cannot find a boot source onboard. I wouldn't conceded to replacing the hard drive or re-installing windows at the expense of your data until you've tried to repair the boot-sector of your HDD. 

• Boot using a windows 7 rescue disk. If you never made one or can't find the one you did make, it can be created from ANY Windows 7 Machine.
  • Select advanced diagnostic tools
  • select Command Prompt
  • At the command prompt type "bootrec" all one word, all lower case, no quotation marks.
  • When bootrec loads a cursor will become available. type "fixmbr" all lower case, all one word, no quotation marks.
  • type "exit"
  • remove rescue disk CD 
  • restart.

If that doesn't fix it go back through those steps and instead of typing fixmbr type "fixboot" all lower case, all one word, no quotation marks.

If you are still having problems enter Preboot System Assessment by tapping f12 during startup and selecting Diagnostics. Have a pen and paper handy so you can write down any errors the diagnostic tests reveal.

If this information was helpful please remember to hit the YES button to verify the answer and if you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact

No Events found!