Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2012 07:00

Dell inspiron N5010 shuts off while booting in 10-15 seconds

I am facing a kind of unique problem with my Dell inspiron N5010 laptop. When ever I carry my laptop to some place lets say from home to college it stops booting, when I switch on my laptop it starts but after 10-15 seconds it shuts off, also when I try to keep the sysem in bios it again shuts off within 10-15 seconds.

Twist in the problem is that if I keep my laptop idle for 20-30 minutes it starts working fine (I never remove battery or ram just left my laptop idle)

another thing is i face ths problem wheonlyn laptop is carried by me in my back pack or u can say when laptop is subjected to movment.

I noticed this pattern seriously. For past 15 days I didn't displaced my laptop from my desk and it work like any normal laptop but today when I took it to my friends place and there when I tried to boot it it starts and shuts off within 15 seconds while booting so I did the same left it idle witouth even removing ram or battery or charger for 10 -15 minutes and then it starts working fine.

Why is this happening is there is a problem i hardware or just some loose connection.

1 Message

April 25th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

I have the same dell inspiron n5010 which shuts down immeaditely when powered. doesn't even go past the DELL welcoming screen! All my attempts to clean up the vents/fan and reapplying the thermal paste both on cpu/gpu dint solve the problem neither did resitting the cpu/rams/hdd. Also disconnecting all the mainboard add-ons like hdd, dvd, wifi/Ethernet, sd cards and leaving the mainboard naked dint solve the problem. Conclusion; MOTHERBOARD IS DEAD !! RIP

Technicians will eat your money and some even miraculously make it work but the problem is still there and sure as night will come back! REPLACE THE *** BOARD OR GET NEW!!!

#NOTBUYINGDELLEVERAGAIN

2 Posts

June 10th, 2012 21:00

Ok i will let u know asap. Thanks for suggestions

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 10th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Possible that there might be some loose connection inside the laptop. I suggest to reseat devices like hard drive, memory, optical drive and Wlan card. Then observe if it will shut down again. If no go, you might need to reseat the processor. (For processor reseating, make sure it is firmly attached and it might require to re-apply thermal paste)

See if does the same thing, if yes possible motherboard replacement is needed.

Inspiron N5010 Manual ;

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Let me know of the results, glad to help!

1 Message

August 4th, 2013 10:00

The problem may be with the computer's fan. At start-up, the system runs a test to check if the fan is running. If it doesn't, it will shut down immediately.

Or, when you do not move the laptop for a while, it is much cooler than when it is in a bag or moving. So the fan doesn't have to turn on. Although when it is hot and the fan does not work it will shut off.

I will post a video on how to disassemble your Dell N5010. This will show you how to get to the fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qbA_xNaMD8

This video does not show you that it is possible to remove the cover of the can with four small screws. If you do this, you can clean out all of the unwanted dust or fuzz, which may be keeping the fan from rotating.

If it still doesn't start-up correctly, check to see if the fan even turns on (the fan can be seen through the bottom of the laptop). If it doesn't, it may be necessary to order a new one.

Please respond if this helps.

4 Posts

January 10th, 2015 10:00

HI,

I have the problem with the  my laptops fan as you suggested in the previous post. I gave my laptop to service center, they cleaned and dust and applied thermal paste( General service). But this did not solve problem. Later they concluded its Intel chip set problem and mother board needs to  be replaced. I don't want to replace it until i am sure about the problem. Please help me... The fan sometimes rotate and sometime doesnt... Is this related to mother issue

No Events found!