Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2016 05:00

Dell latitude E6510 audio driver

I upgraded my computer a little while ago but my laptop has no audio driver. I have checked the drivers from dell and all they give are windows 7 drivers that wont download for me. Can anyone help me?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 18th, 2016 11:00

Azurith93,

There really isnt much you can do. You can try installing the Windows 7 driver using Compatibility Mode.

At the site below it shows an Audio Driver for the sound card in your computer for Windows 10. You can try it at your own risk. Dell will not be help responsible for 3rd party drivers.

Driver Site

3 Posts

November 18th, 2016 13:00

before i tried one of those i attempted to uninstall the driver in device manager and when i scanned for hardware changes it reappeared working. I guess the new question is how to keep it that way.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 18th, 2016 17:00

I have checked the drivers from dell and all they give are windows 7 drivers

Hello. Dell provides audio drivers for the Latitude E6510 running Windows XP, Vista , or 7.

Can anyone help me?

You have to tell us which operating system is on the laptop.

November 18th, 2016 19:00

For any dell system,if you are unable to find the drivers,you can head over to downloads.dell.com

As for your Latitude e6510,you can check audio driver for Windows 7 over here

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/DriversDetails?productCode=latitude-e6510&driverId=R278544

3 Posts

November 19th, 2016 03:00

Woops I'm sorry. I thought I said it was windows 10.compatibility doesnt work and for some odd reason the driver half works. When I restart my laptop it doesn't seem to load right and I have to uninstall the broken driver in device manager and refresh then it's fixed. At this point I just need to know how to keep the driver stable.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 19th, 2016 04:00

I would try re-doing the compatibility installation. First completely remove the current IDT audio driver, plus any older versions you might have downloaded:

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" section.
3. Right click on "IDT High Definition Audio Codec".
4. Click "uninstall."
5. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
6. Restart the laptop.
7. Go back to the Device Manager and look for "High Definition Audio Device". If you see "IDT High Definition Audio Codec" again, that means that there was an older version of the IDT driver on your hard drive, and Windows found and installed it. So  keep uninstalling & restarting until IDT no longer appears under Sound...Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place. "High Definition Audio Device" is the Windows native audio driver.

Next, go to the IDT 6.10.6292 driver page .

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.  [There are two "formats" on the driver's page. Scroll down to the 2nd one, named "Hard Drive" format, and download that one, not the 1st one named "Windows Update Package".]
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for "... Win7".

If installing the IDT driver this way does not help, you could revert the laptop back to the operating system in which the audio did work, unless there is a compelling reason to have the Win10 operating system. Windows 10 treats audio differently than other operating systems, and does not work well with audio on some of the older laptop models.

No Events found!