Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2017 11:00

Dell recovery stopped at 51% and won't read factory restore disk 2

I created dell Factory Restore DVD using dell recovery and backup, it required 2 disks for Factory Restore and 1 disk for drivers and utilities. Also after building the recovery media Dell Recovery tested the media and confirmed the process was successful. Now when I'm trying to reset my system to Factory Settings, it completed disk 1 at 51%, then asked to insert disk 2, so i did and waited for about two hours only to see no progress. It seems that the system ain't reading disk 2. I checked disk 2 on another system and it seems fine with access able data on it. Following a tip on some forum I tried to make a copy of disk 2 using another PC but that didn't work either.

I'm left in the middle of nowhere. My system would neither go back to previous state nor restore to factory settings. What are my options here? Can dell help me?

My system is Dell Inspiron 15 3542

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 12th, 2017 19:00

Just in case someone wants to charm in and be a help to you. Here's the post from the other thread:

ERAISED wrote:

So i followed the link and went through all the links once again only more carefully this time but couldn't find:

1. Where to place an order for Dell Recovery Media.

2. Maybe a download link from where i could get a copy of Recovery Media based on my service tag.

3. So i downloaded Dell Windows Recovery Image together with Dell OS Recovery Tool. Followed the instructions and got a very basic copy of windows now running on my system "which also wants me to activate windows either online or over the phone" with most of the drivers missing including Network Adapter therefore i can't get connected to the internet wirelessly. So i thought its time for the Dell Drivers and Utilities DVD, which i created while making the Dell Recovery Media, to come handy but guess what? Its as pathetic as the Factory Restore DVDs. It won't even load the Bluetooth & Wifi driver correctly. Now i am to do a whole great deal of research to get the wifi working!

Note: In my case i shouldn't really be looking into all these options because i followed the instructions my system came with to make Dell Recovery Media which should ideally restore my system to its factory settings.

I understand that my system warranty Start date was July 15, 2015 and end date was October 15, 2015 which gives me 3 months of DASP Parts Replacement only. But was it a three month warranty for software also? Shouldn't i be able to restore my system to factory settings anytime during the life of my system?

I did my part at building a dell recommended backup and if that backup is not enough to restore my system to its factory condition then Dell Must Say So in the First Place.

Dell recovery stops on 51%,disc 2 not detected

5 Posts

March 13th, 2017 00:00

The subject Dell System was running windows 8.1 at time of making the backup and the day i decided to restore it to factory settings.

However i do have another Toshiba laptop  running windows 10 free upgraded from windows 8.1

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 13th, 2017 08:00

And you could find pre- installed software that first came with computer in link below:

My Dell Downloads :: Login

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please make sure (OS) is set to windows 8.1(or windows 10) in link below.

Support for Inspiron 3542 | Dell US

After, expand Network (wireless) and download them in correct order. You can install the other Downloads & Applications in correct order as well.Please, keep in mind, you'll find most of factory stuffs in those Apps & Downloads.

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Or.....

How to use My Dell Downloads:

https://youtu.be/imVR86XkzOs

5 Posts

March 15th, 2017 03:00

Following the link My Dell Downloads when I click Register System it says

Service Tag Not Supported

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 18th, 2017 08:00

If you haven't registered the computer yet, please do so in the link below and then try again. If you're using Microsoft Edge browser, try another browser.

Dell Product Registration - - - -Online Register

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 18th, 2017 09:00

Please click on 'My Account' in the link below and follow instructions in the video I've posted above.

Support | Dell US

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 18th, 2017 09:00

When I look at the download page for that system, I see two check boxes which require a submission to Support.  I don't know what it does after that, but it does not nave a Win 10 download availability I can see.  It sounds like you used the built in utility to create the recovery media which may have a problem if your system had a problem prior to creating the media.

But two points, in some instances the second DVD needs to be used first.  That is how many backups to DVD used to work but I do not know if you have that situation.

Secondly, Win 8.1 will not normally be allowed to install over Win 10.  If that isn't your situation, some recovery media needs partitions already on the drive..  Is at least one of your DVDs bootable?  If it is bootable, what options are you given?

May 13th, 2017 06:00

Same as problem here...... So otherwise  you can find solutions? ...... Well ask me immediately my email address here:    

No Events found!