Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2017 22:00

Did I kill it?

My Inspiron 15R N5110 Laptop had a hard drive going bad, so I went and picked up a replacement drive today.

Man, what a pain to install that thing! Anyway, after much effort, finally got the machine going again. Got Windows reinstalled. Then slowly started to reinstall the Dell drivers to get everything working. Just as my efforts were nearing an end and all was working great, I realized that although I was plugged in, it was running on battery. It tried two different power cables knowing that power adaptors die regulary - nope, the power was getting to the PC, but not getting in.

I took it back apart to look. The power connector, along with a USB 2.0 port, are on a daughter board under the system board. When I removed the system board to install the HD, the daughter board remained attached to the system board. I don't see any cables or connections between the system and daughter board other than the main connector which didn't get disconnected. The USB 2.0 port is also not working. USB 3.0 on another daughter board works fine.

Did I somehow fry the power daughter board? Any other ideas? Is it replaceable? Thanks!

532 Posts

May 19th, 2017 05:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

You’ve reached the right department and we are here to assist you. To begin with, please access BIOS and check if the adapter is determined. With regard to the daughter board, we suggest you to run through the hardware diagnostics to check if there are any hardware damages. You can refer to this link which has a video with the steps to complete the same.

Also, share the following information via private message, so that we can check for more details and assist you. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

1.       Service tag/ express service code

2.       Email address

3.       Registered owner’s name of the system

The Service Tag is a 7-character code, and the Express Service Tag is a 10-digit code that is a numeric version of the Service Tag. Both codes are on the bottom of your laptop. You can also refer to this link which is a video that shows steps to find the service tag

No Events found!