Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2012 06:00

Does Studio 1558 support mSata drives?

I have a Dell Studio 1558 laptop which has a free full-size slot for connection cards and I would like to put an SSD drive in there.

I have read that some laptops support mSata SSD drives in these slots. Is Studio 1558 one of them?

Service manual doesn't mention anything but it is a bit old (2009). 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 21st, 2012 06:00

MSATA is NOT Mini-PCIE. It requires an MSATA connector to use msata drives. The only laptops that currently have msata AFAIKT are the Dell XPS15 (L521X) mSATA .

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL521x/

Mini-SATA (mSATA) is a relatively new format for ultra-small Solid-State Disks (SSDs), developed by Intel. mSATA SSDs take a form factor similar to mini-PCI Express cards, and are ideal for notebooks and netbooks due to their diminutive size.

Can any notebook take an mSATA SSD?

No. Despite the mini-PCI Express form factor, a mini-PCI Express slot must have BIOS support for the electrical connections an mSATA drive requires. For this reason, only certain notebooks are compatible with mSATA drives. Most compatible systems are based on Intel's newest Sandy Bridge processor architecture, using the new Huron River platform.

The studio 1558 DOES NOT SUPPORT MSATA drives. 

Currently, Intel is the largest supplier, with their 310 mSATA SSD available in 40GB and 80GB configurations.

1 Message

February 4th, 2013 03:00

I was going to ask the same question. Have just upgraded the  RAM on my Dell Studio 1558 laptop to its max 8GB and updated the OS to WIN8 (brilliant), and was now hoping to utilise SSD technology. Did you end up doing something Makish? Would Speedstep have a viable suggestion?  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 4th, 2013 04:00

You can use only a 2.5" SATA SSD in  your system - mSATA is not supported.

No Events found!