Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2014 02:00

Does adding extra RAM heat up my Laptop?

I own a Dell Inspirion N5010 which was purchased before 2010. Since I am a kind of heavy user of the system (not games but heavy multitasker), I would like to increase the RAM to 8 GB or if possible 10 GB. 

It came with built in 3 GB RAM which I increaSed to 6 GB, but the system slows down terribly when multiple accounts are simultaneously logged in.

I am hoping that increasing DDR3 RAM to 8 GB or 10 GB could speed things up. Is it a wise idea?

How much extra heat will be generated and would I need extra external cooling systems to keep my laptop cool?

October 15th, 2014 07:00

I dont think N5010 will support anything more than 8GB. I purchased  4GBx2. Laptop performance is way better with 8GB.

I have noticed a bit of heating with additional RAM but it can be managed by cleaning off the dust, replacing CPU &  GPU thermal paste, cleaning or replacing cpu fan.

For my N5010 i did all cleaning, replacing cpu fan & thermal paste to get controlled cooling..

Make sure you also use the cleaning liquids before applying new thermal paste.. as far i noticed, there is difference in temperatures when i used thermal paste with and without cleaning liquids. 

October 16th, 2014 03:00

Thanks for the clarification Niranjan. And also for the extra suggestions to control the cooling.

I am wondering if there are any mini-cooling units that can blast cold air from outside into my laptop. I am a heavy user and I need full 8 GB RAM capacity for smooth running.

Thanks again.

October 16th, 2014 08:00

If the cpu fan is good enough to serve the purpose... make sure it blows out enough air or else replace it.

No Events found!