Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2010 09:00

Downloading drivers - PROBLEMs

Trying to download drivers for an E1705. 

Read about all the issues with new Dell download manager. Tried to install ...no go. Said I needed ms.Net framework. Could not install, or installed wrong one ..

What is going on? I am not a novice ..so this should not be an issue.

Just be neat if Dell made the files themselves to download rather than through this manager they have devised.

HELP ! Please help me to get the drivers for my bro's laptop.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 10th, 2010 09:00

You can download using a browser.   Use Firefox - not Internet explorer -- and choose "download using my browser", not the Dell download manager.

If you've already chosen the download manager, remove your cookie cache before going back in and you'll see that option.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2010 10:00

I finally got the Download Manager to work, per sticky's link. Yea.

So now I can use Firefox or the DM ...and I want to install video first, per instructions ..but which one ? There are a number of recommended and optional downloads. I pulled up System Information via start, but it does not seem to indicate which video I have.

Oh ..I did use my service tag # to pull up specific drivers for this laptop, so I would think it is there. Most look like TV drivers ??

Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 10th, 2010 11:00

The video does not come first - you MUST install the Dell notebook system software and the chipset driver before anything else.

The BIOS screen (F2) will tell you which video chip (integrated Intel, ATI X1400 or nVidia 6800 or 7800) you have.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2010 12:00

Thanks for that.

The sticky was Terry B's, by the way.

Ok ..the laptop is beside me here.. I have reinstalled XP afresh. I am using my desktop to download the drivers (or trying to), with teh intent to place the drivers/files on a flash drive ..then install to the laptop.

When I attempt to download the NSS with Firefox, it always chooses the Download Manager to save, which I thought was loaded but does not seem to be now.

I am really trying hard, so thanks for staying with me.

Edit.

I finally was able to find an alt site and download R96945.EXE. It is a copy of NSS, but when I tried to install on the E1705, it said it would not install on this machine.

Wow..........whew ........

Edit again.

Went back to download the NSS form Dell. The  R161280.exe file is downloading now . Maybe it will work.

One more time.

Finally got R154270.EXE to load. Now forward with the rest.

No Events found!