Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2014 10:00

Drivers not recognized after repeated installs

The latest version (33) of Firefox doesn't work on one of our computers.  After downgrading back to Firefox 32.0.3, I researched the problem and found that it could be caused by outdated video drivers, so I went to the Dell site , ran a scan for updates, and found and installed several; however, I reran the Dell scan after installing and found that it wanted me to install some of the same drivers I had just installed - including the video driver.  In all cases, I ran the installers as Administrator, and rebooted after the installs (even if the installers didn't ask me to), so what could I be doing wrong in the install process that causes the detection to fail to recognize the newly installed drivers?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 17th, 2014 13:00

soubeagi,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software (if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

7 Posts

October 17th, 2014 23:00

When you reinstalled the operating system, ...

Where'd you get this?  If you're making assumptions based on other posts I've made (about other computers), please don't.  The machine in question (this time) has never had or needed an OS reinstall; however, I will say that I've held off updating Firefox on all our computers for fear of having similar problems until I can get the problems on this computer resolved.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 18th, 2014 14:00

soubeagi,

Usually when drivers fail to install, the first place we look is the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers. Sometimes a file can be missing or corrupt. Did you try running

sfc /scannow          (space between the c and /)

Rick

7 Posts

October 18th, 2014 20:00

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

7 Posts

October 25th, 2014 16:00

Mozilla released Firefox 33.0.1 yesterday, which resolved my immediate problem, so never mind.

(I'd still like to know why these driver updates aren't installing properly, but this is more of a "when I get around to it" project for me now.)

29 Posts

October 26th, 2014 03:00

So what could I be doing wrong in the install process that causes the detection to fail to recognize the newly installed drivers?

You are not necessarily doing anything wrong. The failure to detect your already installed drivers is more likely on Dell’s part. So long as your drivers appear OK in your system, you’re fine.

No Events found!