Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 14th, 2017 00:00

Dual 4k monitor on Dell Precision 5510 / 5520, which HUB ?

Hi guys.

I have a Precision 5510 work station laptop, where I have struggeled with getting my two 4k monitors running on 4k / 60 Hz. The HDMI port does only support 4k / 30 Hz, which is unbearable.

I now have a Plugable thunderbolt 3 hub, which gives me one DP port so I can run 4k / 60 Hz.

Do any of you have any tips on which Thunderbolt 3 hub that can pull off 2 x 4k / 60 Hz monitors?

My colleague is looking on the 5520 laptop, but if it can run what we mean is the future standard (2x4k 60Hz monitors), we might go for another brand.

I would prefer a hub, so we only need to unplug the carger and TB3 cable.

I have found this adapter, which may be plugged in the TB3 port of a TB3 hub, but that will be pretty messy.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt3-dual-displayport-adapter.html

Any other tips?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 14th, 2017 05:00

Hi magnusrm,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately Dell has not tested this product for use with our computers, so support from Dell would not be available.  Other users on the forum may have tried this, and hopefully will respond to assist you.

6 Posts

December 14th, 2017 05:00

Does Dell have any product or tips about any tested product that will do what want? Thanks

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

December 14th, 2017 07:00

Yes, to my knowledge all Dell systems that have HDMI only support HDMI 1.4, which only allows 1600p @ 60 Hz or 4K @ 30 Hz.  As for dual DisplayPort outputs, those systems already have two DisplayPort outputs wired to the Thunderbolt 3 port.  If you wanted actual ports mounted to the system itself, that redundancy may have been too difficult from a GPU output wiring standpoint and it would have inevitably led some users to say, "Why can't I run dual 4K out of my TB3 port plus dual 4K out of the DP outputs on the system itself??", and of course in the quest for thin and light, there's a lot less room for ports, even MiniDP. Even the Precision 7000 Series systems only have one dedicated mDP output.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

One more point of clarification: Using the TB16 dock will allow your system to charge over the connection to the dock, since Dell has figured out how to pass the 130W of power this system requires over TB3 even though the official standard only allows 100W -- so if you got the dock you wouldn't even need to attach a charger anymore, but of course it's more expensive than an adapter.  If you still want to consider the TB3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter you linked, I believe that requires your system's Thunderbolt firmware to be at NVM18 or above, and I seem to recall Dell being slow to update Thunderbolt firmware on some systems, so check that.  To do so, launch the Thunderbolt software on your system, right-click the system tray icon, click Settings, then Details.  It should be listed there.  If not, check support.dell.com for your system and get the latest Thunderbolt firmware update.  You should see "NVMxx" in the file name.

6 Posts

Thanks for the tip. Its a shame that dell didnt provide two DP ports though. I guess you would have to get another Mini DP to DP adapter. At least my 5510 wont run 4k / 60 Hz through the HDMI (perhaps an old standard)...

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

The Dell TB16 dock will handle dual 4K displays @ 60 Hz

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

In addition to the above, if you go with the TB16, in order to use it with the Precision 5510/5520, you'll need the version that comes with the 240W adapter, not the 180W.

No Events found!