Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

L

2 Posts

August 11th, 2007 17:00

E1405/640m Bios Update Problems

I have downloaded the BIOS update to the desktop and then tried to run it. I get the error message:
Application error return: 0x000000610
Windows error return: 0x00000002

I have attempted everything I know to do...Can anyone help me? Maybe tell me why I'm having the problem or what I can do to correct it?

243 Posts

August 11th, 2007 22:00

Hi there,
Although I may not be able to answer your question directly, I too have had problems with the very latest version for 640M: A10 BIOS update.

Ever since I flashed it (I didn't have any problems during the flashing like you), I've been hearing high pitched sounds from the very top part of the computer, just where the monitor and the base of the laptop connects. As time went on, the noise has changed from being consistent to sporadic.

But to get to your issue... Sounds like the flash did not go down well. I trust that you had both the AC adapter and the battery in at the same time during the flash? It sounds like the best thing to do is to contact Dell Tech Support. I don't know if it's a good thing to flash again, but using a new download of the flash file. Could well be that the flash file that you downloaded was corrupt. I'm sorry but it sounds like the issue is for the more technical minded.

My reason for posting a reply to your question is that I'm skeptical of the latest version A10 for 640M. A08 worked fine, but the reason why I upgraded to A10 is because it said that there were some very important microcodes from Intel contained in A10 and that it was absolutely critical to update my laptop to A10. But as I mentioned earlier, I began having the noise problems since upgrading to A10. I talked to numerous Dell tech support staff about this, and of course they advocate upgrading over not upgrading at all. But still, I feel that there's something "not right" about A10.
Calla

Message Edited by Calla Lily on 08-11-2007 04:37 PM

1.9K Posts

August 12th, 2007 05:00

stormco,

Just my two cents here.

Are you having an issue that the BIOS Update is supposed to fix?

If not, I would leave it alone. It is your choice... BIOS updates can be risky and could render your PC useless.

Now that being said.

You should run the BIOS update from a bootable DOS CD, USB, Floppy. In other words it isn't recommended by most to flash the BIOS from a Windows environment.

If you still want to risk it from Windows, Right click the executable and select run as Administrator.

Good luck!

pcgeek11

143 Posts

August 12th, 2007 06:00

Try the following steps and then check:

Click the Start button, and then click Run.
The Run window appears.
In the text box type regedit, then press the key.
The Registry Editor window appears.
 NOTE:  The User Account Control window may appear. If so, click Continue. 
Double-click the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand its contents.
Double-click the folder SYSTEM to expand its contents.
Double-click the folder ControlSet001 to expand its contents.
Double-click the folder Services to expand its contents.
Right-click the DELLBIOS folder and select Delete.
Close all windows and restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
Run the BIOS installer to flash the BIOS.

2 Posts

August 12th, 2007 21:00

Thanks for all the response.  I'm not sure if the BIOS update will fix my problem or not but I have tried just about everything else I know.  I get really frustrated trying to talk w/ANYONE at Dell...I'm just a Southern girl and I can't understand a WORD that Dell support (located somewhere in a country where English is NOT their primary language) says and apparently they can't understand me either. 
The computer just keeps giving me that message that the BIOS needs to be updated and when I check the site it is listed as "URGENT"  so I assumed/hoped it would help me w/some of the issues I've been having. 
I'll do a little more research before trying again to make sure it is worth it.  Thanks again everybody for taking the time to reply. 

1 Message

June 15th, 2010 11:00

I followed these steps but couldn't find DELLBIOS under ControlSet001, only under ControlSet002,003 and CurrentControlSet.  Does it matter from which one I delete?  I have no idea why it wasn't under ControlSet001 but I went ahead and deleted it under ControlSet002, rebooted and it still didn't work.  When I looked back under ControlSet002 it was still there.  I'm very confused.  Dell is useless and won't help me as my "warranty" expired even though this is listed as an urgent free update and it seems something is wrong on their end.  Do I even need to do this?  The only computer problem I've been having is a flash blue screen that says IRQL something.....about a driver...of course I contacted DELL and again they sent me a patch that didn't work.

No Events found!