Archon810
2 Bronze

E6500 - Dell Client System Update - error checking for updates (GUI-U15), crashes when going to system details

I just saw the new Client System Update utility for my E6500, downloaded, and installed it on Win7 x64. I've been talking about Dell creating such a util for years and finally Dell did.

However, it does not work. After I press the Check for updates button, after a bit it comes back with "Check for updates failed" and the GUI-U15 error in the logs. I tried many times, including after a reboot. Also, the app just disappears (probably crashes silently) when I go to Advanced->system details.

Any ideas? I was excited to spread the word around about it but can't as it doesn't work at all.

Artem
http://beerpla.net
http://twitter.com/ArtemR

0 Kudos
19 Replies
stevema4567
1 Copper

Re: E6500 - Dell Client System Update - error checking for updates (GUI-U15), crashes when going to system details

I have the exact same problem on an Optiplex 960 running Windows 7 X64.

0 Kudos
elKnurrie
1 Copper

Re: E6500 - Dell Client System Update - error checking for updates (GUI-U15), crashes when going to system details

I have the same problem. First thought it was because of the proxy but even at home without a proxy it gives the same error. Called Dell about it, their reply was: the software is to new so it's normal there are bugs in it, just wait a few weeks :S. This is on a E6400.

Update: Tried it with the new 1.0.1 version. Same problem!

0 Kudos
mmauger
1 Copper

Yup, same issue on a 64bit Windows 7 Latitude E4200.  ALthough, the first time i got the error, i went into the advance screen, looked but didn't change any settings, went back in and tried it again...it worked, i was able to at least grab a BIOS update.  Now of course, it just repeats the same GUI error over and over, can't trick it a 2nd time.

0 Kudos
scoutert24
1 Copper

Have you gotten any further with this? I just installed this on a 64bit Windows 7 on an E5500 and I get the same error.

Thanks,
Bob

0 Kudos
utopianworld
1 Copper

Are you guys running the Installer as an administrator when you see this error ?

0 Kudos
roniegh
1 Copper

Same issue on a E6400 Win7-32 Ultimate.

0 Kudos
Archon810
2 Bronze

Yes, administrator mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DELL-Aaron M
1 Copper

Hi,

There was a new version released in May that should address the issue you've seen.  Please let me know if it does not.

0 Kudos
pbb72
1 Copper

I've been having the same problem on a Latitude 13, Windows 7 (32-bit), running the latest version of Client System Update. On the third try, it was able to find some updates.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with Windows Update running in the background at the same time?

0 Kudos