Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2011 16:00

E6510 BIOS A09 won't install

I can't get the new A09 BIOS to install. It seems to extract fine, but then it crashes before it starts the update. I've tried Win7 32 and 64 bit, both SP1.

Anyone else have that issue?

June 3rd, 2011 17:00

Thanks for the reply posting!  

I've looked at a number of methods for creating a USB bootable drive and they're all pretty convoluted.  This was easy to follow but the only problem is that the site you provide for getting the HP utility requires some authentication so that was a dead end for me.  

However I took your advice, Googled it up and came across an even simpler recipe:  www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm.  I followed this, created the USB boot drive and *successfully* loaded the new BIOS.  

Note: I did reorder the boot sequence of drives in the original BIOS before starting so it found the USB boot before the HDD boot.   Remember to reset this order after the update.  en.community.dell.com/.../19883243.aspx

9 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 20:00

I didn't use the download manager... when I say extract, I really just meant I saw a progress bar briefly before the message saying it was going to reboot and install it.

I get this in my event log:

Faulting application name: E6510A09.EXE, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Faulting module name: E6510A09.EXE, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0003e32a

Faulting process id: 0x2134

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc2196c801a4ea

Faulting application path: C:\Users\*****\Desktop\E6510A09.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Users\******\Desktop\E6510A09.EXE

Report Id: 066260fe-8d8a-11e0-94cc-1c659d50f000

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 20:00

You do not need to extract it if you skip the Download Manager and download the file directly. Click on the file instead of the Download button and you will go to the next page where you can download the actual file then you can click it to run.

June 3rd, 2011 11:00

I am having this problem.  Spent ~2hrs with Dell yesterday trying to get it to load.   Saw the same status bar flash by followed by nothing.  My event logs show the same errors. 

9 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 12:00

guess we'll just have to wait for a new version to come out... the tech support guy I was e-mailing with already wanted to replace my system board... normally I'm all for replacing hardware, but this seems like purely a software problem.

June 3rd, 2011 13:00

Fyi - In the last 3 weeks I've had the motherboard replaced 3 times, LCD replaced and all the memory swapped out, trying to resolve a system lockup issue so this isn't a hardware problem.  

I also tried installing under Safe Mode using the /forceit parameter from the command line and it generated the same fault message in the event logs.

9 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 13:00

Have you tried installing it via DOS? I couldn't get any DOS boot disks to read the cdrom or usb storage...

297 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 16:00

The best and safest way to flash the bios of any computer is from plain vanilla DOS with no drivers or config.sys loaded.

The best way to to this on a modern system is to make a DOS bootable USB flash memory drive. There is a well known HP (Hewlett Packard) utility specifically for this purpose. Google it if you wish. You also need the DOS system files from Windows '98. You can download an archive with the utility, files and instructions here. 

http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

Please note that you will need to give administrative permission, after extracting the ZIP archives, to run the HP utility on Vista and Windows 7. Right click on the icon/executable and select run as administrator and answer the prompt.

Once you have managed to create a bootable USB flash memory drive, copy your bios flasher .exe file to the USB, boot the USB and then run the .exe file.

It is always best to disconnect all peripherals, boot the system, use F2 to enter bios setup, then find the option to load bios default values and save and exit before attempting a flash.

It is safest to use a USB stick of 2GB or less, these are quite old now. I use an old 256MB SD card from a camera in an SD card reader and this works fine.

Don't flash the bios if there is an unresolved hardware problem, fix that first. Unless the bios update is specifically to address such a hardware issue.

297 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 17:00

Glad to hear it worked. I have edited my post to reflect your download source since my link did not not work.

9 Posts

June 4th, 2011 07:00

I got mine to work using this method as well, thank you so much!

1 Message

January 10th, 2012 14:00

Thank you for posting this - this worked fantastic and easy to follow!

1 Message

October 23rd, 2013 07:00

Thanks! It worked perfectly!

July 4th, 2016 17:00

I did use the bay-wolf download but a couple of things that I had to work around.

1.  My wife's computer was 'hiding' system files, so when the HP program finished, there was nothing on the USB stick until I went into folders and clicked to un-Hide system files.  

2.  I copied my E6410A09.exe file to the USB disk.

3.  I had manually copied all the "other" CD-rom files over the the USB stick.  THIS WAS a MISTAKE FOR ME!  When I BOOT from the USB stick and tried to update the BIOS, I would get an error and have to reboot.  I went back and removed all the CD-rom files and anything 'not needed' from the HP instructions.  Then, out of luck, I tried it once more and IT WORKED!!  

Note - took quite a while to fat32 format my probably 2gb usb stick.  Smallest one I could find.  Anyway, can't believe I got it working - a little luck and persistence for this one...

Also, when I updated from a09 to a16, I was able to run a16 from windows 7, SP 1.  Go figure, all that work to upgrade, was a slog...

No Events found!