Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 19th, 2017 08:00

E7440/E7240/E.... keyboard trim for trackpoint-less (=upper mousebutton-less) keyboard

Dear Dell community,

the E7440/E7420 (and I think many others) has keyboards with (e.g. 04W6PV 08PP00) or without trackpoint (e.g. . RXKD2 0RXKD2)

Subsequently the upper mousebuttons (A12AN5) can/should be removed (which is possible).

However, then I would need another keyboard trim covering the space where the upper mousebuttons have been.

I haven't found any different keyboard trim than 29FWC 029FWC (the one with a recess for the upper mouse buttons). I also didn't find a "filler" for the upper mouse buttons.

A trackpoint-less keyboard can be installed in a laptop with the upper mouse buttons still in place, but it's rather tight and the mouse buttons cannot be pushed properly any more, so should be disconnected.

How do I properly convert a trackpoint-enabled laptop to a trackpoint-less one?

kind regards

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

April 19th, 2017 11:00

Hi chaosprevails,

Thanks for posting. This has not been tested by Dell, is not advised, and is not supported.

April 20th, 2017 00:00

Hi Robert,

thank you for your reply.

If the conversion has not been tested by Dell, can/could E7440/E7420 be ordered without a trackpoint? Otherwise, what is the point of having keyboards without a trackpoint for e.g. E7420/E7440?

If laptops without trackpoint can/could be ordered, can you share the spare parts list/owners manual of such a laptop? The owners manual of the E7440 (with trackpoint) does in no way mention the option of a different keyboard trim or a "filler" for the upper mouse buttons.

kind regards,

Tim

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

April 24th, 2017 06:00

Thanks for your suggestion.  The trackpoint or pointing stick is included in the Latitude line of computers, if you are looking for a laptop without the device, we offer many Alienware and Inspiron models without it.

April 24th, 2017 07:00

hello Robert,

thank you. But that still doesn't answer my question: why are there trackpoint-less keyboards for laptops which are only available with trackpoint?

best,

Tim

No Events found!