Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2014 16:00

E7440 Integrated display and usb adapters turn off when docked

We have multiple E7440 laptops for our environment.

One of them however seems to have a docking issue. Laptop works great, but when you dock it, the display goes blank, and nothing shows on external displays connected to the dock.

I have updated to the newest display driver, and flashed the bios (A10), I have also set trackpad/mouse to ps2 only in the BIOS. I have even done a full OS reinstall and tried fresh.

If I plug in USB graphics adapters into the laptop, the display properly replicates/extends to the other monitors. If I dock the laptop, the integrated and usb adapter monitors go black. 

If I plug the USB graphics adapters into the dock, no change.

I have tried VGA, DisplayPort, and DVI cables on the dock, different monitors, and different cables. 

I have tried docking the laptop into multiple docks with no change. 

Is it a problem with the docking port on the underside of the laptop?

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

October 15th, 2014 10:00

Hi Andrew.oldridge,

Thanks for the post and giving us a rundown of what troubleshooting you’ve already been through. From what you’re describing I would certainly suspect the systems docking port to be the issue here. As you have multiple systems though, I would suggest you try swapping hard drives with a known good unit, so software/ OS can be ruled out.

If with a known good drive installed the system continues to have issues on dock I would recommend contacting Dell support in your area to request service, please feel free to DM me your details as well i and will do all i can to help.

Thanks, 

No Events found!