Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 29th, 2009 17:00

Erratic Mouse/Touchpad Problem

The wired mouse and touchpad on my Latitude D820 notebook have recently begun erratic movements of the pointer which are very difficult to control with either input device.  At times, the pointer moves either diagonally across the screen and parks in one corner or the other off-screen.  Intermittently, the pointer will respond correctly , but then begins moving across the screen without either the mouse or touch-pad being used.  This behaviour seemed to coincide with recent updates from Microsoft, but no way of determining whether that was the source or cause of the problem.  Virus activity is unlikely because I'm behind a router firewall as well as a software firewall and antivirus program.  Viruscans do not detect anything.  Has anyone experienced and resolved a similar issue or is there a known solution available? 

1 Message

July 10th, 2009 17:00

I have the exact same problem with my 830 that began in early may. My mouse will just race to the top of the screen and stay there for a while - either non responsive or fighting hard against the input devices.. Every now and then I can clear with the Esc key, but mosty have to wait it out. Did you ever get resolution on this?

3 Posts

July 14th, 2009 21:00

Problem still persists even after downloading and reinstalling the latest versions of all driver files.  When that was completed, the problem disappeared for a few days so I installed a Logitech wireless mouse to replace the corded Dell mouse.  Again, the problem disappeared for a short time then returned intermittently.  The mouse pointer behaved as you described and only a restart would clear the problem.  I did note that the erratic behaviour seemed to coincide with connectivity to the internet/network.  With no network connection, the mouse and touchpad function normally.  So, I haven't pursued the matter further to date nor have I contacted Dell techsupport directly either.  When the mouse pointer goes wonky, I either wait it out for restart depending on what else is running.

September 11th, 2009 14:00

Did you ever get a resolution to this?  My D630 is doing the exact same thing - with the Touchpad and a USB mouse.  It's actually been doing it almost as long as I've had the PC (freezing occasionally) but now it does it so often it's almost unusable. 

September 17th, 2009 12:00

Dell replaced by touchpad this week.  It failed the hardware test when the tech walked me through that last Friday.  Anyway, the replaced touchpad still didn't act any better.  All Tech Support could tell me was that the replacement of my motherboard earlier in the summer could have fouled something up and I would need to reload the system.  I did that last night - believe it or not, it STILL has a bit of an erratic cursor, though not as bad as previous.  I'm going to watch it a few days and then call them again.  What a pain to reload the system - I'm not loading much back on until I see if that fixed it or not. 

Wishing I'd bought a cheaper computer that I wouldn't feel bad about chunking, but as long as this one's in warranty I'm going to try to get it fixed.

January 8th, 2010 10:00

Switching off the internet connection worked............but first of all mouse should be removed & cleaned with wet cotton swab

No Events found!