Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

September 22nd, 2006 17:00

Error in EXE file when flashing BIOS

I have a Latitude D820 running Windows XP Professional. I recently attempted to flash the BIOS from A01 to A03. I downloaded the executable and ran it. It then attempted to do a reboot but complete shutdown failed due to Symantec hanging it up and I had to power off. The system came back up but I was still at Level A01. I attemted to run the exe again but I receive the following error:

An unexpected error occurred while running the flash application. Please reboot and try again:

Application Error Return:0X00000610
Windows Error Return: 0X00000002

I was able to flash the BIOS going the DOS direction, but how do I clear this error up for future Windows BIOS updates. Thanks for your help.

12 Posts

October 31st, 2006 18:00

I was able to create a bootable USB drive that booted into Windows 98 DOS. I ran D620_A05.exe from the command line. The program loaded but gave me the following error. It seems as though I am stuck without any options.

"Cannot run under a protected environment."

12 Posts

October 31st, 2006 18:00

I am in the same boat. I attempted to update my D620 from A04 to A05. The D620_A05.exe program started fine but then said I didn't have enough memory to keep running it. This was a surprise to me since I shouldn't have had any memory issues. I restarted and tried it again. This time, instead of even attempting to run, it instantly gives me the exact same error message that George received.

Dell wants to send me a new motherboard, but everything is working fine other than not being able to use the bios update utility. I don't have access to a USB floppy drive, so I haven't been able to try updating in DOS.

I would like to find a way to get this program to run rather than having to replace my motherboard. I appreciate any help.

---Error Message---

Latitude D620 BIOS Flash A05

An unexpected error occured while running the Flash application. Please reboot and try again.

If the error continues, please contact technical help.

Application Error Return: 0x00000610
Windows Error Return: 0x00000002

12 Posts

November 1st, 2006 18:00

Not sure if this would help any, but here's a screen shot of the error message I receive when running D620_A05.exe

12 Posts

November 1st, 2006 19:00

After exhaustively talking with Dell Support, I was told:

"Well I'm documenting the issue and submitting feedback through the appropriate channels. Eventually it'll either be fixed through a new file to download, or we'll get a knowledge base article that addresses the issue and has a resolution."

My biggest problem isn't that I can't update just to A05, but it's that I will never be able to update my BIOS ever again. I feel like that will be the problem because I get the same error when I run the A04 flash application. It seems to be a program error and not a bios error.

So... I'm glad they are looking into it, and I look forward to being able to flash with A06 if there ever is one.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2006 19:00

I'm getting the same error when trying to update the BIOS on my D820.

Also tried doing it via a bootable USB flash drive.  No luck.  Same error as person above.

Yo... Dell!   Are you listening?

How about posting a workaround or BIOS update that works...

4 Posts

December 28th, 2006 20:00

OK... here is a workaround that I found.

Apparently the Win-98 DOS is some sort of protected mode DOS that prevents the BIOS upgrade exe from running.

I found that I could create a bootable CD-ROM using NERO which uses DR.DOS.  I put the BIOS upgrade exe on the bootable CD-ROM containing DR.DOS.

When the machine boots to the CD-ROM it jumps into DR.DOS.  The only confusing thing is that there are 3 virtual drives after boot.  The BIOS exe was on drive D:.   Very strange...

However, I was able to run the BIOS exe and update my system.

(There has got to be an easier way.)

12 Posts

December 28th, 2006 22:00

I did something similar as RATickle. I created a bootable USB flash drive with a simple DOS image instead of the Win98 DOS that protects the BIOS from being flashed. I can confirm that it lets you flash the BIOS this way. I just downloaded the newest A07 for my D620, and it still gives me that error when trying to flash it in Windows. I guess I will have to stick with doing it the DOS way.

12 Posts

July 2nd, 2007 11:00

I never did get a helpful response back from Dell about this issue. Read the post I made above yours. That's the only way I was able to do it. Make a bootable USB drive and put the Dos version of the bios flasher on there. It should work that way. I wish they had a better answer for us.

7 Posts

July 2nd, 2007 11:00

I have the exact same problem. I tried to flash a D620 from A02 to A08 (did it a dozen times before accross the office), the machine frooze and now I'm unable to update.

I'd greatly appreciate any and all assistance.

12 Posts

July 2nd, 2007 14:00

To preface, it's been quite a while since I made this bootable drive, and I am writing from memory. I don't think I've missed anything, but I certainly could have. Use one of the following links for help on making a bootable USB drive. I used the HP utility (HP Drive Key Boot Utility) to create mine which is discussed in both of these.

1) http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2004/10/utility_to_make_usb_flash_driv.html
2) http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm (method 2)

Note: I don't recall which bootable image I put on my USB drive. It's been a while. However, like I mentioned in an earlier post, I originally used the Windows 98 boot image, but that was a problem because it booted into some kind of Win98 virtual Dos environment that actually restricted access to the bios and wouldn't allow me to flash using the Dos version of the Dell bios flasher. I found a non-Win98 image at http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and moved the files onto my USB drive and it worked. I don't remember, but I think I downloaded one that was contained in a Zip file instead of EXE, because the EXE files many times want you to insert a floppy disk before continuing.

How to run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment (Non-Windows users).

NOTE: You will need to provide a bootable DOS diskette (bootable USB drive). This executable file does not create the DOS system files.

1) Copy the file D620_A08.EXE to a bootable floppy.
2) Boot from the floppy to the DOS prompt.
3) Run the file by typing Y:\D620_A08.EXE (where y is the drive letter where the executable is located).

Message Edited by one321 on 07-02-2007 10:53 AM

Message Edited by one321 on 07-02-2007 10:53 AM

7 Posts

July 2nd, 2007 14:00

one321 would you be so kind to describe the process of creating a bootable USB drive and the process of flashing with the Dos version in a couple sentences. I really don't want to mess this laptop up. It's one of those in our company that deserves special treatment.

12 Posts

July 2nd, 2007 15:00

Haha, duh. I should have first asked if you had a floppy drive. I didn't have access to a floppy drive when I did mine. The DOS flasher worked like a charm for me. I imagine some people refuse to even use Windows flashers because they still trust the DOS versions more. Good luck!

7 Posts

July 2nd, 2007 15:00

one321: thank you so much for the detailed instructions.

I've used a HP formated bootable disk before so that shouldn't be a problem. On second thought I might as well use a floppy drive and save myself some work. Just remembered we actually received a couple of those in our fist shipments.

Thank you yet again, hope I don't brick it.

26 Posts

July 8th, 2007 00:00

This solution came from another post and has worked for me and others in situations like this. Be careful with Regedit as you can mess up other things, but you're trying to get rid of some Dell BIOS update keys that were created by running the flash program once, but now prevent the program from running again:

1. Click on start then run and type "regedit" in the box and press enter. (without the quotes)
2. Expand and Look for: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM ->ControlSet001 -> Services -> DELLBIOS
3. Delete DELLBIOS folder
4. Restart the system
5. Re-flash BIOS

7 Posts

July 8th, 2007 09:00

Since I haven't had time/the opportunity to try flashing it using a USB key (a floppy won't do since the update file is quite big) I'll definitely give this a try.

Thank you very much for pointing this out, since it seems a lot more graceful.
No Events found!