Highlighted
sdowle
1 Copper

Ethernet/Wifi keeps dropping since upgrading to windows 10 on Inspiron 7537

Jump to solution

After about 3 failed attempts to upgrade to windows 10 from 8.1 i inadvertently clicked on that annoying prompt to try again, and it completed the upgrade this time.

Everything is fine with it, except the Wifi and ethernet keeps dropping. If i do the troubleshoot repair or disable/enable my ethernet adapter then it works again for a few minutes before dropping again.

I have installed every upgrade recommended by the Dell website but it still persists. I have the Inspiron 7537

Can anyone recommended any steps to fix it?

4 Replies
ieee488
6 Gallium

RE: Ethernet/Wifi keeps dropping since upgrading to windows 10 on Inspiron 7537

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
neilh20
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have the same problem - now for a week - and spent almost two days trying options to track this down. 

I've looked at the link - and it doesn't help me.

I've upgrade to WIn 10 on my Inspiron 7737 . Before hand I ugpraded the drivers per - www.dell.com/.../19
Then afterwards I ran it again.
However everytime I run it - it indicates chip drivers need updating - and I get Chipset_Driver_3491V_WN32_11.0.0.1173_A01.EXE
The above description isn't very helpful when the "Drivers and Downloads" page doesn't identify all the drivers as per the list.
After my upgrade, I'm getting a lot of issues with the Ethernet adapter.
I ping my gateway 10.0.0.1 to check for local connection.
I can copy in a large file [35G] from my backup no problem, but as soon as I start accessing the internet through Chrome the ethernet connection goes bad. "Request timed out"
If I leave WiFi enabled it switches to WiFi and sometimes works. However I have a Bitvise SSH connection I set up, and that times out even over WiFi. 
On reseating the ethernet cable I get the ethernet back, for a period. Then it goes out.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
neilh20
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The above didn't solve it for me. Someone else had the same problem 

google windowssecrets dot com Windows-10-Realtek-PCIe-GBE-Family-Controller-Intermittent-ethernet-disconnect  

or this icon might work for you:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/174459-Windows-10-Realtek-PCIe-GBE-Family-Controller...

Suggestion its "Realtek RTL8411B-US Ethernet Controller Driver" -and dells drivers listed are outofdate

On my problem machine Device Manger -  Network adapters - Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller - Ethernet Properties  driver says its "realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" version 10.1.505 2015 - driver date 5/5/2015

Solution download latest driver  realtek.com.tw  - Downloads\DellDrivers\Install_Win10_10008_05202016

This installed a driver 10.8.31 2016 Driver date 3/11/2016 and worked.

Then to make sure, I unisntalled, rebooted - it discovered it and reinstalled it - and now the networking is good. 

Whew! so appears the Dell Download drivers downloaded are out of date.

brmcwatt
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This solved the problem but I have to ask how is it that this problem has been known by many for many months and Dell is still not offering a driver that fixes the issue on the Dell laptop but instead we have to go to the Realtek website.  Shame on Dell and kudos to NeilH20.

0 Kudos