Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2013 06:00

External HDD not detected

Hi all,

I have an Inspiron 5520, with Win 7 Home premium 64 bit and an external Western Digital HDD My passport Essential SE (3.0). The laptop is fairly new, I purchased it last June. From first day it seemed that something was wrong with the connection with the hdd. In case I was even touching the cable of the hdd it was disconnecting for example, and since yesterday it doesn't detect it at all!

The light of the hdd goes on, and I can feel it working, but I get no beep sound on my computer, I dont see the drive on device manager, and in general its nowhere!

I tried the hdd in all four USB ports and nothing. The drive has no problem on other computers (with OS Vista and Win 7). My mouse works perfectly on all four usb ports.I updated the drivers for BIOS and chipset, I run pc check up. I checked both laptop and drive with antivirus and antispyware programs. I reinstalled the driver from WD website.I read a few things here and on other sites, but none of these seem to work for me.

What else could I do?

Thanks a lot! I appreciate any help!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 24th, 2013 06:00

You may need a dual-connector USB cable - very often a single USB port won't provide enough power to fully spin up a hard drive.  You can also try using a powered USB hub.

1 Message

April 5th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

I also purchased the Dell Inspiron 5520 laptop (with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit) last year and having the “EXACT” same issue with two (2) of the external Western Digital HDD My Passport Essential SE 1TB (3.0). They were both working earlier to store a lot of family pictures (images or scanned) to create and save videos, but now it’s not being detected nor seen on device manager.  There is no issues with other external HDD (e.g. Iomega eGo [232GB], FreeAgent Go [298GB], USB 2.0 FD [4.0GB] which confirms there is no problem with four (4) of the USB ports (2.0 & 3.0).  One of the Passport has no problem with my other laptop (Compaq Presario CQ60-215DX) upgraded from Windows
Vista to Windows 7.

I researched various websites and performed recommended solutions (e.g. update drivers for BIOS and chipset, reinstall drivers from WD website, run cmd, ran
antivirus and antispyware programs, run pc checkup) with no success.

I would really appreciate your help in this matter because it took a lot of time to repair old family photos or to replace loss of loved ones.

Thank you.

No Events found!