Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2017 05:00

FPS And Graphic Card Issues

Hello, and here I am back again. Before i start explain my issue, i will remind you of my laptops specs once again...

• Nvidia Gforce GTX880M (8gb)
  • 32 GB Ram (2x16 GB)
  • 1.5 TB hard disk space.
  • i7-4770 2.4 ghz processor, with 3.4 ghz turbo spped
  • Windows 8.1

Please do NOT start with any annoying nagging about why I use windows 8.1. Like i said before. I have used that operation system for many years. My acer had it, and so did my acer before the acer I bought in 2014. I AM USED WITH IT AND HAVE NO INTEREST IN LEARNING A NEW ONE! I can think of upgrading to win 10 in the future, lets say in 2023, NOT before that... Yes, I bought a hardly used 2014 version of Alienware laptop from a DELL it engineer. Hardly ever used since he rahter used his Alienware desktop.

Ok now to my problem. I was playing sims 4 and it started with those glitches again. I have been playng Kingdoms of Amalur, without any problem using the integrated graphics, But sims 2, 3 and 4 requires a 3D graphic card like Nvidia. When I was playing sims4, during the game play, it came a white screen and then after a short while, the game came back on, shortly after that it did the same thing again, til it suddenly crashed, so i had to force restart. I was also using a software to check the heat and FPS. The heat is on 60, so that is all good, no issues there, but he FPS is not far from good, and according my research Geforce GTX880M should bee able to go over 60 FPS. But to my horror when i tested it in a 3D program and used High and Extreme high settings the FPS was no more than 8-13. Medium was no more than 15-17 and on low 20-25... I am not sure if the FPS has something to do with the lagging, freezing and crashing, due to to low FPS or something?! Do I have to think about buying a new Nvidia Graphic card to the Alienware? Or do you have any idea what the cause of this issue could bee!?

The Driver BIO is the one from 2013. I have not seen any more recent updates on that BIOS to Win 8.1...

11 Posts

November 12th, 2017 22:00

All drivers are up to date. The drivers for win 8.1, including the nvidia geforce driver/drivers. Just thought to point that out also. Some help to solve this, please: Please do not tell me the geforce graphic card is broken...

The Dell It Engineer that i bought this alienware laptop from, did a small over haul on this computer, he changed the graphic card to GTX880M and also changed the ram memory to 2x16 gb so it became 32 gb instead of 16 gb ram memory...around 6 to 10 months before he decided to sell it, since he hardly used it, it was more like an second use thing, if his deskop was not available when he needed to work.

11 Posts

November 13th, 2017 02:00

Did some test today on Valley Benchmark, with both integrated and Nvidia GTX880M graphic card. With the inegrated graphics the FPS was between 10-25. When I used GTX880M the FTP was between 40 and far over 60 FTP.

Both the integrated and GTX had the same issues and got this error bellow. Before this error came up the screan got black, then came back on, got black again till it completely froze everything so i had to force restart on my laptop. This issue was when i used bot integrated graphics and Nvidia. But crashed more severaly using Nvidia graphics?! t crashed with the integrated graphics too, but not that fast. The heat stayed bellow 66 degrees celsius at all times during the test. So please help me out here..

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 13th, 2017 08:00

First, you never mentioned which specific Alienware laptop model (there are 24 different models). Based on the BIOS date of 2013, most likely an out of warranty older model. Second, you should be posting this on the Alienware Forum. Third, you should re-contact the seller (Dell IT engineer) and explain to him all the issues you are facing. He should try to assist you since he sold it to you.

No Events found!