Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2012 13:00

Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron i14RN-1593BK Notebook PC and in my last Dell Scan I failed the Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test.  I guess I don't know what this means or what the necessary follow up should be.

Thank you for the information.

--John

7 Posts

June 5th, 2013 07:00

Hello Debbie - 

I'm not sure how to post a new message/question - so this is all I can do.  I am having the similar problem with TEST FAILS on my Dell PC

System Type:   Studio XPS 435t / 9000

The information I got from the scans are shown below.  My question is this:  Do I really need to replace my hard drive asap?  I still have lots of disc space left, not nearly full.  The message in red below scares the hell outta me!  (Your drive indicates that a failure may be imminent.  Back up all important files and Replace your drive.)  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated since I am no longer covered by a warranty.  I bought this in late 2010.  

Thanks!   

Deborah N.                                        :

Hard Drive Failed 5/27/13

Hard Drive Sector Error ST31000528AS 5/23/13  (warning)

Create Password Reset Disk (warning) 5/28/13

Schedule Hardward Scan (fail) 5/23/13

Hardware Sector Error ST31000528AS

Smart Short Self Test (Failed) WHD16-4LN

Run Scan: 6/5/13

Targeted Read Test *FAILED*  (ST31000528AS)

Helpful hings: Visit “Support” to access additional Dell resources

SMART Short Self Test *FAILED*

Helpful HintsYour drive indicates that a failure may be imminent.  Back up all important files and Replace your drive. 

SEARCH “Help and Support Center” – Hard Drive

Visit “Support” to access additional Dell resources

1.5K Posts

June 6th, 2013 10:00

Hi Debbie,

It seems that the system HDD is failing and is needed to be replaced. As you are still able to boot to Windows, it is recommended that you backup all your data and replace the hard drive before it fails completely. Also, please remove the service tag from public view for security reasons.

Since the system is not under warranty any more, please contact our Spare Parts and Accessories dept on 1-800-357-3355. Please refer to the link for more information: http://dell.to/134esce.

For system Owner’s Manual, you may refer to the link: http://bit.ly/Zf1tjI.

Hope this helps. please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

1 Message

September 7th, 2013 05:00

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue with my Dell Inspiron N5040. I have followed the guidelines given and this is the error code that I got: 2000-0221

Validation -25864

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 9th, 2013 12:00

Hello Jiloac Smile,

Error Code 2000-0221 indicates Interval Timer Channel 0 (mode 0) is not generating interrupts. An out of date BIOS can cause this error code. Please consider updating the latest BIOS version (A 05)

**NOTE: Few things to ensure before updating the Bios is, the Ac Adapter should be plugged in and the battery should have minimum of 15% charge. No other external peripherals should be connected to the computer. Please ensure that the Bios update should not be interrupted else it would damage the motherboard. 

Hope this helps!

54 Posts

November 12th, 2013 05:00

I have an studio XPS 9100, Win 7 Home premium, 64bit, that has a failing OS drive, C:. Can anyone advise the best & easiest procedure for replacing the drive? I have all of my data on other internal & external drives. I'm trying to figure out the best option. I have the system recovery disc if that helps. Can I get everything started up by installing a new bare drive using the system recovery disc? Thanks for any help that you can give me. 

1 Message

December 12th, 2015 08:00

i see a lot of people have the same problem, if this is faulty hardware then dell should recall. or replace the hard drive for free.it is not are fuilt that the hard drives or going bad.

7 Posts

December 14th, 2015 08:00

It probably depends on how old the system is.  My hard drive went out after about 3 years. I've heard that is normal.  It's likely no coincidence that is when the warranty typically expires, too.  lol!  

If this is normal "wear and tear" for a PC after 3 years, then DELL can't be held responsible for repairs.  My second hard-drive lasted almost 3 years, too.   

A replacement hard-drive is right around $100 from my experience.  Not too difficult to replace yourself, but you must be careful. 

3 Posts

December 14th, 2015 08:00

Unfortunately, the first harddrive went out within the first month and the second one they put in lasted about a year.  I have other deal machines and laptops that still have the original harddrives that are over 5 years old.

BTW:  I also had to request the operating system software because Dell does not ship that with their systems.

Dell should do a recall since their are so many complaints as their company name is on the line.

No Events found!