Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2017 00:00

Fingerprint login not working - Latitude E5470 - any ideas?

This Latitude E5470 is quite new, but out of warranty, but the fingerprint has never worked properly.

It works sometimes, but mostly not. I've tried re-doing the fingerprint recognition several times, but it keeps telling me that it might need cleaning. I have to put in the pin number most of the time. Its terrible.

My 5 year old Vostro works fine, but this new laptop is really bad - this was an expensive laptop, I'm really disappointed.

It didn't work with Win7 and Win10. 

Any ideas on how to fix this.

Should I reinstall the driver (how do I do this?), replace the fingerprint pad - anything else?

Thanks

9.4K Posts

June 12th, 2017 07:00

Hi 132132o,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful:  http://dell.to/2tcHR55

49 Posts

June 12th, 2017 23:00

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The strange thing is that it works sometimes, but not often.

On my Vostro the fingerprint recognition works 100% even though its 5 years old, but this new Latitude is terrible, it works 20% of the time and I have to do it so many times to get it to work.

I tried updating then deleting and reinstalling the driver, but this did not help.
Updated drives from the Dell site, but no luck.

Des this indicate a hardware fault?

Thanks

9.4K Posts

June 13th, 2017 06:00

That is possible, have you tried running diagnostics?  Since you mentioned the computer is fairly new, run the diagnostics program then call Tech Support for troubleshooting.  Thanks.

49 Posts

June 13th, 2017 23:00

Thanks for the tip - i'll try that

Its over 1 year, so no support, but in the UK we get 2-6 years cover when buying a new item - though I'm sure Dell will not be happy to repair it.

The odd thing is - it works great sometimes, sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it asks for my pin, and sometimes it asks for my Windows password.

I've never had windows switch between Pin security and Windows security - odd.

And why would the Fingerprint sensor only work sometimes.

Perhaps the next step is hardware test, then a full Clean Reinstall, and if this doesn't work try something else.

Unless you have another suggestion.

Thanks

No Events found!