Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2017 14:00

Flat EQ on aux out

I use my laptop with a program called REW to send a frequency sweep to my cars stereo head unit in order to tune the stereo with a calibrate mic. I do this by plugging in an aux from the laptop to the headunit.  Recently, i've come to the realization that my aux out may not be sending out a flat signal due to internal eq and high pass/low pass filters. 

Is there anyway to check for high/low pass filters built in, or bypass them all together? I am aware of the sound settings EQ that i can turn to flat.

On this subject, when i plug the aux in, i get a list of options such as speaker out, and dell speaker out. What are the differences in these options?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 09:00

Hello. I don't see your laptop model name and operating system. If it's a recent model then it probably has Realtek audio, which means that it has Waves audio enhancements. The best way I know to make sure that all Waves enhancements are off is to switch from the Realtek audio driver to the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager.
2. Expand the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" section.
3. Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio" and select to uninstall.
4. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
5. Restart the laptop and go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & restarting until Realtek High Definition Audio no longer appears under Sound...Controllers.

Windows will have installed its native driver when it could not find the Realtek files during the re-start. Sometimes it takes more than one attempt for this process to happen, because sometimes there are files for additional versions of the Realtek driver on the hard drive and they have to be removed one version at a time.

After the native driver is installed, go to the Enhancements tab of the Windows Sound applet and check "disable all enhancements". If the enhancements are turned off in the audio player app and in any global eq that is installed on the system, that is probably going to be about as flat as you can get the laptop's audio.

i get a list of options such as speaker out, and dell speaker out.

Dell sells some laptop speakers. If a person has a set he/she can choose the pre-set for those particular speakers. Supposedly Waves enhancement is tailored for each model for which there is a preset option. Speaker Out without the Dell trademark would be all other speakers.

3 Posts

October 4th, 2017 03:00

Would it be possible to use an usb adapter with Aux out to bypass the laptops internal Aux out EQ instead?

www.amazon.com/.../B00NMXY2MO

3 Posts

October 4th, 2017 03:00

First off, thanks for the informative info. As an alternative. Would it be possible to have a usb to aux adapter. Im assuming USB audio out would have no eq.

www.amazon.com/.../B00NMXY2MO

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 4th, 2017 08:00

Yes, it would entirely bypass the Realtek audio system and all enhancements related to any of the Realtek/Waves audio driver versions. It uses the Windows native usb audio driver.

No Events found!