Highlighted
szini
1 Copper

RE: GPT Bootable Bios/Optimus Switch Are Necessary For L502x/L702x

Jump to solution

I found a working solution for my Dell XPS 13 L321X, starting point was exactly as described by the OP: latest BIOS version is A08 released on Sept 2013, won't boot an USB GPT partition but just Legacy/MBR ones, therefore I had to find a way to create a working Tails install with Persistence preserving the GUID structure that's necessary for persistence to function.

I've been immensely helped by a segment of one of the procedures posted here, and as you may guess ...I've "gone Hybrid"!

Here is what I did, recorded out of memory just after having completed the process. If you have questions or find it not 100% clear or working in your case feel free to reach back to me/PM.

---Given 2 USB keys, let's call #1 the transient one needed to install from a mac osx system as I did, and let's call #2 the destination where we want to create our Tails final install ------------

1. format #1 as FAT32/MBR, and install the latest Tails ISO with dd on it (instructions here, sections 1/7 and 2/7 only!)
  2. boot #1 on Dell XPS, and launch Tails Installer from there towards #2
  3. plug #2 into a second UEFI-compatible laptop (I used an old HP I've around here at home), and create Persistence
  4. boot Dell XPS with #1, insert #2 after login, open a Root Terminal and execute ‘gdisk /dev/sd_’ on #2
  5. recovery and transformation options (experts only)
  6. make hybrid MBR
  7. Type from one to three GPT partition numbers, separated by spaces, to be added to the hybrid MBR, in sequence: [just type 1]
  8. Enter an MBR hex code (default 83): [1c]
  9. Set the bootable flag? (Y/N):
  10. Unused partition space(s) found. Use one to protect more partitions? (Y/N):
  11. Enter an MBR hex code (EE is EFI GPT, but may confuse MacOS): [0a]
  12. write table to disk and exit
  13. Boot from #2, all works like a charm!

Let me know if this works for you as well, and have fun!

szini
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I found a working solution for my Dell XPS 13 L321X, starting point was exactly as described by the OP: latest BIOS version is A08 released on Sept 2013, won't boot an USB GPT partition but just Legacy/MBR ones, therefore I had to find a way to create a working Tails install with Persistence preserving the GUID structure that's necessary for persistence to function.

I've been immensely helped by a segment of one of the procedures posted here, and as you may guess ...I've "gone Hybrid"!

Here is what I did, recorded out of memory just after having completed the process. If you have questions or find it not 100% clear or working in your case feel free to reach back to me/PM.

---Given 2 USB keys, let's call #1 the transient one needed to install from a mac osx system as I did, and let's call #2 the destination where we want to create our Tails final install ------------

1. format #1 as FAT32/MBR, and install the latest Tails ISO with dd on it (instructions here, sections 1/7 and 2/7 only!)

2. boot #1 on Dell XPS, and launch Tails Installer from there towards #2

3. plug #2 into a second UEFI-compatible laptop (I used an old HP I've around here at home), and create Persistence

4. boot Dell XPS with #1, insert #2 after login, open a Root Terminal and execute ‘gdisk /dev/sd_’ on #2

5. recovery and transformation options (experts only)

6. make hybrid MBR

7. Type from one to three GPT partition numbers, separated by spaces, to be added to the hybrid MBR, in sequence: [just type 1]

8. Enter an MBR hex code (default 83): [1c]

9. Set the bootable flag? (Y/N):

10. Unused partition space(s) found. Use one to protect more partitions? (Y/N):

11. Enter an MBR hex code (EE is EFI GPT, but may confuse MacOS): [0a]

12. write table to disk and exit

13. Boot from #2, all works like a charm!

Let me know if this works for you as well, and have fun!

doritobrother
1 Copper

Jump to solution

You sir, are a legend.

0 Kudos