Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

August 26th, 2007 00:00

Getting Sound for Inspiron 1720

I just recently installed XP onto my Inspiron 1720, which originally came with Vista. I managed to install everything just fine, but now I can't get sound. Where can I get sound drivers, because there aren't any available when I choose XP for driver downloads.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 26th, 2007 00:00

Some forum members have found that this driver will work:

1520 & 1720 XP audio driver <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Jim

August 26th, 2007 01:00

That didn't work. It says "The system does not support the driver you are attempting to install." I chose the Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD when I purchased the system.

August 26th, 2007 01:00

OK, scratch that. After going into Device Manager, and having XP finally detect a problem device to be some audio hardware, I managed to get it installed with the driver that you provided. Thank you very much for the help.

Message Edited by anonymousguy on 08-25-2007 09:28 PM

3 Posts

October 12th, 2007 01:00

I want to know what the sound blaster audigy is and is it necessary. is it something that can be purchased at a later date. Is the regular sound on the inspiron ok?

4 Posts

January 29th, 2008 22:00

Hi

I have the same problem: Inspiron 1720 (with Sound Blaster Audigy MB) that came with vista. I've installed xp sp3 on it because vista home edition wasn't a good solution. Every thing's good, only the sound card isn't. I've searched for the driver but nothing.

Can you please tell me how you did it for the Inspiron 1720?

Thanks a lot

1 Message

June 5th, 2008 14:00

Did you ever hear back from anyone as to how they installed the driver for the sound card? I'm in the identical boat. I wiped my 1720 the moment I got it and have been soundless ever since. I've downloaded everything under the sun and still no sound.

My feeling is that you have to completely uninstall the driver for the "Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC", and then install the driver that was posted above in this thread.

If you can, then please send any information you received. Much appreciated!

Ben

June 6th, 2008 03:00

What I did was the following (it's been a while, but I'll try to remember):

1.  Install the chipset drivers

2.  After the drivers have installed and your system rebooted, go into Device Manager

3.  Go to the other devices (the ones with a ?)

4.  One of them should be your sound device, so perform a "Scan for hardware changes"

5.  If it is your sound device, the device name will change, but remain in Other Devices

6.  Install the drivers linked by jimco

I think I was able to get sound after that.  However, I just recently performed a search for drivers for WinXP for the 1720, and it seems like Dell has finally put out drivers.  They didn't exist when I installed XP, but you might want to give it a try.  The link.  

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

No Events found!