Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2013 18:00

Getting a 17r SE, ordered a separate 240GB SSD III, tell me what to do when I get it.

Not a luddite but far from tech savvy. Have hooked up a hard drive from a busted old computer to a newer computer via a SATA to USB cable, and added more RAM, that's about as fancy as it gets for me.

I ordered a 17r SE which I should get in a few days: Here are some of the specs:

Dell Outlet Inspiron 17R Special Edition Laptop Windows 8
-- 32 GB SSDR mSATA Full Card
-- Certified Refurbished
-- Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2GB 130W
-- Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i7-3630QM Processor (6MB cache, up to 3.4Ghz)
-- Software
-- Service Software
-- 1 TB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Also ordered a 240 GB SSD III drive on a friend's recommendation. I want to use it to boot my PC, as well as to run programs like MATLAB, Stata and Scientific software writing programs.

When I get the laptop, what's my play? I want a low stress way to get my computer running fast on the SSD III while using the 1 TB to store media files.

Thanks a lot!

Dean

953 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 19:00

Hi Dean,

240GB SSD III has not been tested with this machine. The Inspiron 7720/17R (SE) is offered with 32 GB mSATA (mini-SATA) solid-state drive. Here are the instructions on how to install Operating System on an mSATA Hard Drive of a bigger size.

9 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 21:00

Hi Zohaib. I'm not sure what 'hasn't been tested' means. Does that mean it won't work, or that you can't guarantee it will work? If I but a bigger mSATA (say 256GB), will that work? I've heard SATA III is much faster than mSATA, so I'm keen to go with that.

953 Posts

October 7th, 2013 16:00

Hi Dean,

I am sorry I was not clear in my first response. In my response “has not been tested with this machine” means we can't guarantee its functionality with this machine. The hard drive may or may not work with the machine. Another user (if any) who has tried this configuration can only assure you its functionality.

Please revert for clarification.

No Events found!