Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 23rd, 2010 21:00

Graphics Cards and Processors

The laptop I will be wanting to put these upgrades on is the Studio XPS 16 notebook. Since it only comes with a Radeon Mobility graphics card, I was wondering which is better, that one, nvidia GeForce, or CrossfireX, or if none of those, which is the best graphics card possible (I don't care about price I just want to know). Also, would it be possible to upgrade the graphics card of the laptop to one of these and are they compatible. The next thing I want to know is what the best processor is for a laptop. I have done some research and came to the conclusion of the Intel® Core™ i7 Processor Extreme Mobile Edition (940XM or 920XM) If this is the best one, which of the two ones mentioned is better. If there is a better processor out there, please let me know (again, I don't care about price right now, and just in case you're wondering, this is for a gaming laptop). Is the laptop able to be upgraded to these and are they compatible with the Studio XPS 16? Thanks for your help!

P.S.: Just out of randomness, is it possible to upgrade to over 8 GB of RAM and/or over 256 GB SSD? (just wondering)

September 24th, 2010 01:00

For Nvidia, the best laptop GPU's is as far as I know, Quadro FX3800M. I am not 100% sure, but that is what I have found so far. Yes CPU i7 940XM is the best you can get, as far as I understand.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 24th, 2010 06:00

The answer to the other question is no - you cannot upgrade the video once you purchase the system.

3 Posts

October 5th, 2010 22:00

Why not?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 6th, 2010 04:00

Because the video chip is no longer on a separate card.  Though Dell was the last major company to follow the others (HP/Compaq, Sony, Toshiba, Lenovo, Apple, etc. all did this long before), it now integrates the video chip on almost all models - certainly all Studio, Inspiron, XPS, Vostro, etc. models. 

The only remaining systems with separate video cards are the Alienware 15" and 17" and the high-end Precision mobile workstations.  All others have a video chip and memory permanently soldered to the system board - they cannot be upgraded later.

No Events found!