Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

December 1st, 2008 20:00

Green dots during startup and then nothing.

When I turn on my laptop (Inspiron E1705) and the initial startup begins (the logos show) I see a series of green vertical dots.  It looks like it is loading up fine other than that.  The Windows load bar below the logo moves and all seems well other than the green dots.  Then when it would be going farther than that (log on to a user and go to desktop) it becomes either black or kind of a brownish black with horizontal lines and then turns to black. 

I can start it up fine in safe mode and the screen looks okay.  I tried doing a system restore and it worked once but then the next time I started it up it was messing up again.  Doing a system restore again has not worked again.  Plugging in an external monitor and pressing Fn+F8 has the same results (green dots with logos and then total failure).

I have no idea if this is software or hardware related and can't seem to find a solution to it anywhere.  There was apparently a thread here once with a similar problem that I found doing a yahoo search but clicking on the link does not work.   Please help!

3.6K Posts

December 1st, 2008 20:00

Press f12 at boot screen and run diagnostic test on video card,(run extended test) not just the short test.To get to extended test,let first test run and complete,select extended test,symptom tree,video.Post back with results.

But if you receive any errors,the video card will have to be replaced.

December 1st, 2008 23:00

I did a short and custom test.  I got error codes 5300:0921 and 5300:0821

The video memory test, LCD pattern test, and LCD line test all failed.  However, the Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GS was recognized and the LCD did pass the connection, inverter, and graphics tests.

I ran these tests with the video card driver I've been using and the latest one provided by Nvidia.  I got the same results both times.

3.6K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 14:00

Search on the codes came back with,video card is failing as i thought.So if you are under warranty contact dell,if not you can find a 7900GS on ebay for about $279.00.

December 2nd, 2008 18:00

I'm not sure if it's still under warranty.  Is there some Dell website that will tell me if I'm still under warranty?  Also, if I have to get it fixed professionally, do I have to mail it to Dell? 

No Events found!