Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2011 06:00

HELP!! This is driving me crazy!!!

Yesterday, I was deleting some spyware off my PC and decided to just delete any suspicious software all-in-all. I'm guessing I accidentally deleted a sound tool because now my sound is gone and shows this message in my control panel, it says I have no audio tool and in advanced controls it sows the message 'There are no active mixer devises to install mixer devises'... Anyway I wanted to know if anyone knew the name of the file and where I can re-install. My Dell is a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, and has a Intel Atom inside. Oh, and it's a Dell Mini, but I don't know what type. 

934 Posts

September 24th, 2011 08:00

Jimco means "Windows System Restore" -that's different from "Dell's system restore" via backup.

Excerpt form Windows Help Section

================================

What is System Restore?

System Restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e‑mail, documents, or photos.

================================

Apart from this : you should always have a backup of your important files - if you don't have a backup then this is the time to do it !

Also, the sound buttons off my tray

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Immediately use System Restore and use a restore point dated before you made the changes. That might not restore the sound but might undo some damage.

If that does not restore the sound then download the audio driver for you model. Because you do not know which model you have I cannot link you directly to the driver, so go to the Dell Drivers page

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?

and enter your Service Tag number (probably on the bottom of the computer) and you will get a list of drivers for your computer, Download and install the audio driver.

September 24th, 2011 07:00

I'm not going to restore because I have way to important files to have erased for the second time this year!

September 24th, 2011 08:00

Is it in control Panel?

934 Posts

September 24th, 2011 09:00

Start -> My computer -> change a setting -> performance and maintenance -> System restore

There is for sure a smarter way to access system Restore - but can't remember it anymore.....

September 24th, 2011 11:00

It only showed me settings when I did that, and I ended up searching for it. Anyway, It's back to normal and even has a mic now. Thanks a lot guys!

No Events found!