Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2015 13:00

Headphone Audio, but no speakers on new XPS 13 (2015)

Hi Guys,

I get perfect audio out of my headphones, but instead of speaker audio, all I hear in a very soft regular ticking sound emanating from the computer.  Very strange.  This does not occur when the headphones are plugged in. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 15th, 2015 18:00

Hello. If it arrived from the factory with the speakers not working, you can return it as defective if you are still within the brief return period.

Or go to the XPS 13 9343 support page if that is your model. Select your operating system by using the small blue "Change OS" button. Then expand the Audio category and download the Realtek audio driver. Install the driver -- if the existing driver is corrupt that should fix it.

Or try the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the Windows search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio Device" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

If you still get no audio from the speakers after installing a fresh copy of the Realtek driver and testing with the native driver, you can test the speakers by running the audio tests in the ePSA tests. If the speakers produce no sound during the tests then they are faulty or disconnected. If there is sound during the tests but none when you boot back into Windows then the impedance sensor in the headphone jack might have failed in which case the jack has to be replaced.

9 Posts

October 16th, 2015 23:00

Hey, were you able to solve your issue? I'm having exactly the same problem. All of a sudden audio stop working. I tried restarting and reinstalling the drivers nothing worked so far.

No Events found!