Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2014 11:00

Headset Jack Input

I have two different dell laptops, one is working for me and the other is not. 

I am plugging in an adapted 3.5 cable that converts to a 2.5 after going through a transistor to record audio.  It's kink of like a plug in microphone.  The problem is getting the headset jack to understand what it is I am plugging into it in order to get the audio to come through.  I have worked my problems out to where it is not my cable any longer but the installed dell software that is holding me back. 

On the working laptop:  XPS 12 running windows 8 and Waves MaxxAudio Pro

when you plug into the headset jack you get like 7 options to include a specific "headset" option that works for my recording

On the non-working laptop:  XPS 15 running windows 8 and Waves MaxxAudio 4

when you plug into the headset jack you get 4 options to include "headphone / headset" which doesn't work and no "headset" option.

Here is what I have tried so far to get the alternate selections to appear....

Updated realtek audio driver

updated to windows 8.1

searched extensively for a download for MaxxAudio Pro

Thanks for any thoughts, help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 4th, 2014 12:00

Hello. what is the model of your laptop? The "XPS 15" models are

L501X, L502X, L521X, and 9530

5 Posts

February 6th, 2014 08:00

The XPS15 is model L521x

The XPS12 is a 2 in 1 ultrabook 9Q33

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 6th, 2014 12:00

I am plugging in an adapted 3.5 cable that converts to a 2.5 after going through a transistor to record audio.

That is pretty hard to visualize. The headset "combo" jack on an XPS L521x takes a smart phone type of headset. It (or an adapter) should have a plug that is 3.5 mm with 4 segments, similar to the picture below. If you can test the laptop with a smart phone headset like that and it still does not work after re-installing the audio driver, then the hardware could be defective.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 7th, 2014 16:00

Have you gone to the Recording tab of the Sound properties and selected the mic as the default recording device? If so there is not much else you can do. You could try a driver directly from the Realtek site. If you are sure your equipment is all okay then the jack could be faulty. You can contact tech support<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>to get it repaired.

The screen shot for the XPS L521x looks right. I don't think the one for the XPS 9Q33 should be showing an option for line-in.

5 Posts

February 7th, 2014 16:00

I understand the whole TRRS thing.  The problem is not so much with what I am plugging in as it is with the different types of Dell Audio each laptop has, and the inability that I can find to make them function the same in determining what type of device I have plugged in.

I get this from the XPS 15

And this from the XPS12 ultrabook

The "Headset" option works here on the XPS12 computer; however on the XPS15 the "headphone / headset" option does not operate the same.

No Events found!