Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2016 18:00

Help! Brand New Alienware 13" Laptop Crashing my WIFI Modem

Hello everyone,

I am having a WIFI issue with the 2016 Alienware13" laptop I just purchased and was hoping for some help. Whenever I boot up my laptop, it will connect to my WIFI connection, but very shortly after the modem itself seems to crash and reboots. I have never had any issues with my network previously (I have used two game consoles, two laptops, two cell phones, an Ipad and a wireless printer on it) and yet, when I turn off all other devices connected to WIFI aside from my Alienware, the problem persists. Is it possible that the laptop could actually be crashing the modem?

I have already contacted my internet provider, Rogers, about the issue and they cannot seem to resolve it. I have also changed out the modem itself and the issue is still occurring with the new modem. 

Any help is appreciated,

-Patrick

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

February 20th, 2016 13:00

Hmm, i've personally never heard of that happening before.   Since you are discussing your Alienware laptop, you might want to post in the Alienware forum here to get faster help. 

You could also try the networking forum here as well.

4 Posts

March 8th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

I just purchased an Alienware 17 and I have the same issues.  My son who just purchased an Alienware 15 has the same problem. Rogers modem goes down and reboots. 

8 Posts

March 9th, 2016 07:00

Hello,

I am just writing to follow up on my initial post regarding the Alienware Killer Networking NIC causing the modem to drop out/reset. I have been in constant contact with Alienware customer support (about every two to three days) and here is what I have done without any success:

-BIOS has been updated by Alienware customer Service

-Killer Networking drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled/updated by customer service twice (This seems to fix the problem temporarily, but after about 1-2 hours, the problem occurs again)

-Contacted Killer Networking: They advised that they are aware of the issue but do not have a specific fix for the problem as of yet (which is crazy since it is installed across all Alienware devices at this point - which aren't so cheap). They were not able to fix the issue and stopped replying to my emails. 

- I have received a new modem from Rogers and have had a technician test my network. This determined that it is not an issue on the side of the ISP (no other devices cause this to occur, and in my house we have three other laptops running wireless without a problem > not all at once). 

-I have tried the laptop on a friend's LAN home network and the same issue occurred (also has Rogers as the ISP).

- I have tried the following troubleshooting steps given to me by an Alienware customer service supervisor (without success): Device Manager >Network Cards>Killer 1535 Card>Advanced>Change 802.11 Channel to 20MHZ>Disable wireless WMM

then:

In router settings: assigned to 2.4GHZ (This step actually had the wifi functioning without drop out for about three to four hours, but the next time the laptop was started up, the issue persisted).  

The issue does not occur when the laptop is connected via Ethernet cable, or when I am connected to my school's WAN. It is unfortunate because I love this laptop and have many programs set up for both work and school, but I am in the process of returning it. There is no reason that I should pay $1700.00 for a laptop that can't connect to the internet. 

If anyone here has found a solution in the meantime, please let me know. I have searched the internet and the only solution I have found seems to be swapping out the killer networking NIC for something else, but it wont work if its integrated with the motherboard and Alienware will not provide any other NIC upon request to resolve the issue, as they now only deal with Killer Networking. 

8 Posts

March 9th, 2016 08:00

Hi mjva,

Just to give you a heads up, I have had Rogers update my firmware without any success. I truly do believe that this is a Killer Networking card issue that is fairly common with machines running Windows 10. I have been advised by a few other individuals that I have been talking to about the issue that Alienware has replaced their Killer Networking cards (after jumping through hoops) with Intel 8260 wireless cards and the issue has (as far as they know) been resolved. 

As far as I can tell, it is not an issue with the ISP (Rogers), but the network card in the laptop itself (namely, its associated software).

Regards,

Patrick

4 Posts

March 9th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

It's crazy.  My issue seems very similar, however when my modem does reboot, almost exactly 5 minutes after I start the computer, I have a pretty solid connection.  I also had Rogers replace my modem which didn't remedy the problem.  And, like you I have multiple devices Laptops, IPads, etc, and they run without issue.

I contacted Rogers, and I did share your post with them to show them, that it wasn't just a "me" issue and someone else was having the same problem. The TechExpert, has put a ticket in to update the Firmware on my modem. This usually takes 48 hours to do.  He said this he was confident this would fix the issue. I don't know how confident I am though. Fingers crossed.

4 Posts

March 16th, 2016 11:00

HI Patrick,

I wanted to let you know that we have resolved this situation in our household.  On another call to Rogers (you were right the firmware made no difference), they suggested I purchase a Router (oppose to just the current Rogers Hitron modem I was using).  I bought a Linksys EA6900, for about $160.00 and installed. 

I have had no connectivity issues whatsoever since.  In fact, the evening I installed it, we had three Alienwares in the house playing an online multiplayer game.   Not once did we drop signal, and no lags at all. It made an incredible difference.  I've had the router now for 6 days  and haven't once had any wifi downtime. 

I'm not sure if your situation has changed, but did want to let you know what seemed to work for me. 

1 Message

March 16th, 2016 20:00

After months of collapsing Hitron modems, and 7 Rogers tech visits this month alone, finally have some info to share.

All Rogers infrastructure has been checked and is in good shape.  Yesterday, 2 senior techs working together were able to repeatedly and reproducibly  crash the Hitron by connecting my Alienware 17 to wifi. With their company diagnotics they were able to see the modem start going nuts with thousands of packets descending on it.  Examing internal modem log files, they were astounded at the number of logged crashes.

It is definitely the Killer card and its software that's the problem.  The Rogers techs were muttering about adding the issue to their tech issue base, essentially to warn them all about the Alienware - Killer - Hitron problem.

I have to replace the wifi card, on my own if necessary if Dell (under extended service warranty) won't.

Meanwhile, an older version Hitron, without the ac protocol, appears to be reasonably stable. I'll use that until I can get the card replaced.

8 Posts

March 17th, 2016 09:00

Hello Randy & mjva,

Thank you for your replies. I have confirmed 100% that this is a Killer networking card issue as well (I have spoken with them directly and also through alienware and installed every possible driver to fix the issue without success). I have been in constant contact with Alienware customer support and am now at the stage where I have been given three options:(1) to return the PC all together, (2) to have a new model shipped to me (which wouldn't change a thing as its still got a killer card in it), and (3) to have alienware ship out a new network card to a local technician in Toronto, who will then install it on my machine. I have opted for the third and am currently waiting to hear from the technician - He will be installing an Intel AC-8260. I will update as soon as I have the card installed and can confirm the issue has been resolved. 

Thanks,

Patrick

8 Posts

April 5th, 2016 05:00

Hello all,

I just wanted to write an update in regards to my fix for this issue. I had a technician come out (provided by Dell) yesterday to replace the Killer Wireless 1535 Network card that came default in the Alienware 13. I had asked for an Intel AC-8260 for the replacement card. The technician swapped out the cards and I installed the new drivers and removed all Killer Networking software from the PC. Low and behold, the laptop functions perfectly and I have yet to experience any further Wifi/Modem drop outs since the switch. 

I can safety say that the issue I had been experiencing was a direct result of the Killer Networking card. It is a shame that Alienware ships their laptops with Killer cards as the default. 

No Events found!