Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2011 17:00

Help with doing a factory image restore on an inherited Inspiron 1545

I inherited a Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 from my grandfather recently.  The computer was purchased shortly before his death, and it runs fine.  However, I'd like to make this computer my own; it's a little unsettling using my dead grandfather's user name, and I think it would be easiest to start fresh rather than messing around with it as it is. 

I don't want to keep any of his old files; I just want the computer to be as it was when he first got it.   If it had come with a Windows 7 installation disk, I would just install a clean copy of Windows, but unfortunately, it didn't.  There's a recovery drive, but my grandfather was notorious for tinkering around with computers.  I don't have any experience using a recovery drive to do a clean install, and I'm nervous that he might have deleted something I need in there. 

I'm thinking what I'd want to do is a factory image restore, but I wanted to be sure that was the correct step to take.  I have a few concerns, though:

1) When I boot the computer, it asks me to choose from two different Windows 7's.  I'm not sure why it says that - are there two different operating systems on the computer?  

2) For some reason, I'm never asked for a password when I start the computer.  That's fine since I don't have the password, but I was wondering if that's something I'll need?  I don' t want to accidentally lock myself out of the computer.  (That's also a reason that I want to start over - not having the password is probably going to be a problem down the line!)

So, to sum up - will doing the factory image restore allow me to rename the computer, reset the user name, set a new password, and remove all of his old files and programs?

3.8K Posts

October 13th, 2011 04:00

Hi Ebs80,

Welcome to the Community. It looks like you may have 2 opeating system's installed on separate partitons on your computer. If you restore your computer back to factory settings, that will allow you to reset everything, and will delete all the old files. To restore your computer back to factory settings, follow the below link.

support.dell.com/.../document

Thank you

Royan

2 Posts

October 13th, 2011 16:00

I followed the instructions and it worked perfectly.  Thank so much!

No Events found!