Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2010 13:00

How do I EASILY disconnect from my Wireless Connection?

I have a Dell Latitude D610 with a Dell Wireless WLAN card.  I would like to know how I can easily disconnect from the internet (block all incoming/outgoing connections) without having to either disable (which means I have to then repair the connection when I want to re-connect) or by having to use my AVG firewall to block connections.  I've tried to disable the radio using F2, but it doesn't seem to completely stop the internet connection, as my proxy service remains connected and operational.  I also just tried using my AVG firewall, which worked to stop all connections completely, but took me more than 15 minutes to re-establish and open my wireless connection.

Being able to easily disconnect/cut my wireless connection is something that I really need to be able to do as there are times when I am not in a safe environment and/or simply do not want any incoming/outgoing internet connection. 

I would really appreciate any guidance on this, as I have really tried everything I can think of.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!!

Thanks!

Lakota

53 Posts

December 30th, 2010 13:00

well if turning off the wireless didnt work an easy way would just be to unplug your wireless router =P or disconnect the two power cables to your wireless card inside the labtop

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

December 30th, 2010 16:00

Left click on the wireless icon in the notification area, click on the router you are using, and click on disconnect.

December 31st, 2010 10:00

KirkD

Thank you!  I did as you suggested, and even though I've done that numerous times before, I've never seen anything that said "disconnect", however, after you suggested the disconnect command was there, I tried to right click on the router and finally saw the disconnect command.  I'm not sure why I never thought to click on the router before, but I guess I just figured that if there was a way to cut the connection it would be obvious.  I haven't tried it yet {I'm still writing this to you :emotion-5: ) but I will certainly try it the next time I need to cut my internet connection.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

vans113,

Thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately, my computer isn't the only one using the wireless router, so unplugging it isn't really an option for me {but will certainly take that route if and when my son changes his internet service to Road Runner} but, I'm hoping that by using KirkD's suggestion I'll be able to actually click on my router and disconnect from there.  I'm really hoping that works and I won't be forced to such an extreme measure of actually disconnecting the wireless card inside my laptop.  With my luck, I'd permanently *mess* :emotion-9:  :emotion-10:  up something and would never be able to access the internet again.

Thanks again for your

ooopsss, hit post before I finished my sentence...Sorry.:emotion-10:

What I was going to say "Thanks again for your suggestions.  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my request. 

I hope you have a great New Year!  Take care.

No Events found!