Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 1st, 2014 11:00

How to disable build in intel hd graphics 4000 video card on Dell Inspiron 3521?

Hello, I recently bought the Dell inspiron 3521 laptop.It comes with AMD Radeon HD 8730M.But it looks like the computer is not using it at all.Both video cards are with drivers up to date.
I tried with to disable the build in video card,but when I do it the pc starts using windows basic displayer and it is not recognizing any of the video cards.
I tried with different drivers for the amd video card both from the dell and amd websites,but without success.I also tried switchable graphics and any other options in the amd catalyst control center,but I didnt find any solution there ,either.
In the BIOS settings there is also no option to disable or set prefferable video card.
Does anyone has other ideas how to solve this problem.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 1st, 2014 12:00

You cannot disable the Intel GPU - it is the only one that has a connection to the display panel.  The AMD GPU is simply a video co-processor - it passes data through the Intel GPU on its way to the display panel.

While there are some systems that let you select the video chip at the hardware level, this is not one of them - the video system is entirely software-controlled.  You select the AMD GPU on a per-application basis.  The Intel GPU is always primary  - there's no way to change that.

Look in your control panel - you should see entries for both video chips.  If you don't, you have a driver problem.  If you do, then select the GPU you want to use with the Catalyst Control Center.  Note:  there ARE some applications - including many games, particularly older ones - that will not run with the AMD GPU because they're not written to support switching graphics.  If that's the case, you may need an update or a paid upgrade to a newer version of the game.

January 1st, 2014 13:00

Thank you for the fast answer.I also found youtube video with similar answer to the following question.If anyone has problems configurating switchable graphics this will help him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oB2oDO-IFk

7 Posts

November 12th, 2014 03:00

hye...i also have same issue here..

I bought dell inspiron 15 with AMD radeon HD8730. my warranty end on April 09, 2014.

sad thing is, there is some issue on intel 4000 hardware that caused my display blinking.

after i remove the drive for it, then only i can have display. but without AMD redeon HD8730 processing capability.

seems i have hardware issue here. it's pretty bad. very light usage only for internet browsing.

on top of that, i also notice if i did not shut down properly, on next round when i need to restart computer. it come out sound beep beep beep....need to press the off power multiple time until it can load normally.

No Events found!