Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2009 15:00

How to find Vista product key on harddrive

I recently downgraded to windows xp, and have found I want Vista back on my laptop. The product key located on the bottom of my laptop has partially been rubbed off. Kind of a bad place for it lol The box and disc for Vista home premium are both missing. I was wondering if the product key for Vista that came with my latop is hiding somewhere in the hardrive? Like I said, I can make most of it out, but am also missing the Vista disc for reinstall. Any suggestions on how to obtain the vista home premium disc with out buying again, also how to find my product key? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :) Noticed that Dell charges an arm and a leg for tech service, bummer my warranty is just a month over!

3 Posts

I no longer have the Dell install disc, Is there a way to order one for cheap or free? Thanks you guys!

1.3K Posts

If the laptop came from Dell with Vista installed, and you have a Dell install disc for Vista, you will not need the product key. It should install and activate.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The key in the pre-installed version will not match the one on the case.  You don't need to product key to install an OEM copy of VIsta anyway.

If you need a disc,

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 16:00

See link in the original reply.

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 18:00

You gys are awesome! thanks so much! :)

1 Message

September 21st, 2009 20:00

thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you!

dell software/hardware support is clueless. thank you for the above link. so simple.

No Events found!