Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2015 09:00

I can't get HDMI audio working Dell XPS 15 9530

I've tried using the intel update utility, but it won't update to the latest driver because it says that my driver is an OEM driver.

I have the latest driver from the Dell website.

I can see the tv in the playback devices, and I can change it to default, but  no sound comes out.  Although I did get sound once.  But just once.  I don't know what magic I did to make it work.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 14th, 2015 12:00

Open Sound by right clicking on the volume icon in lower right corner and selecting Playback. Select HDMI for playback.

Never update laptop drivers from anyone but Dell. Those are customized for your model.

8 Posts

November 14th, 2015 17:00

There is no HDMI in the playback devices.  As I mentioned in my post, there is the TV. And it switches, but no sound comes out.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 15th, 2015 07:00

Hello. Have you seen the HDMI Audio FAQ? All of our tips are in it and I don't have any additional advice, but I would point out a couple of things that are mentioned in the faq.

Right click in the Sounds properties playback tab and make sure that disabled and disconnected devices are selected to be shown in the list of playback devices. If HDMI audio is disabled, you can enable it once it is in the list.

I have the latest driver from the Dell website.

The audio or graphics driver? HDMI audio is a function of the graphics driver so that is what you want to update, and your model has both Intel graphics and nVidia so you should update both drivers.

There are other instructions in Section 1 of the faq that should be followed. Try a different cable too.

That's all I got.

8 Posts

November 18th, 2015 15:00

Thanks for the reply, but none of it worked.

I did get it working for a day by uninstalling the driving, manually installing the driver from the intel site, then updating the driver in the device manager.

It all worked fine in windows 8, so I'm thinking it's a driver issue.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 19th, 2015 05:00

It all worked fine in windows 8

So you have changed the operating system? You can find all of the drivers that Dell has released for your model on the XPS 15 9530 html page. WB64A means it's for Win8.1 and WT64A means 10.

I see 2 Intel graphics drivers for Win10 and 2 for nVidia.  I would try all 4 of those (if you have 10) because one can't assume that the newer version is the better one. But remember before installing an older driver version to completely remove the newer version first.

8 Posts

November 21st, 2015 08:00

I tried all the drivers and still no good.  In fact, now it's even worse :)

Before, when I switched the playback device, I just got no audio.  But now, it causes the video to have a constant stutter.  Still no audio.

However, after uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers it actually worked (for a few minute).  Then I rebooted and it stopped working.

I'm thinking that windows 10 isn't supported, but I don't know how to report it.

No Events found!