Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2016 18:00

Inspiron 11 3137 fails to boot

Hi,

I purchased a 3137 with Windows 8.1. Earlier this year I succumbed to windows marketing and upgraded to windows 10 after confirming with the Dell website that my laptop was compatible. Immediately I started having issues with drivers and hardware causing BSOD.

I used the built in windows software to roll back to Windows 8.1. During one of the reboots in the rollback the laptop stopped at the Dell logo, it was like that for approx 4 hours before I turned it off. The laptop will no longer boot. I am unable to get BIOS or boot options.

I turn the laptop on with the power key and the Dell logo comes up. If I press Ctrl-Alt-Del it will restart so I know the keyboard is recognised. I have pressed (and held) the Fn key for no result, I have also pressed F12, F2 and Del during start and again no result.

I have removed the CMOS battery and the RAM and main battery, the motherboard is giving beeps when I do that so I know it is doing the POST test.

Is there anything else I can try before I declare it dead and vow never to buy a Dell product ever again?

Thank you

EDIT -NEW INFORMATION

After reading thread #19999715 I tried booting whilst holding Ctrl-Esc. I get the Dell logo but now there is a blue loading bar and the F2 Setup / F12 Boot Options is displayed in the bottom right corner. However pressing both F2 and F12 has no effect and the computer stays on that screen with nothing else happening.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 13th, 2016 09:00

What beep pattern are you hearing - single, pause, single;  three pause three, etc.?

3 Posts

December 13th, 2016 13:00

The beeps are not relevant to the issue, they show that POST is actually happening. For rigour though, when I remove the CMOS battery I get 5 beeps, when I remove RAM I get 2 beeps. Again though, the beeps is not relevant and *only* occurs when I force POST to fail.

New Information

After reading thread #19999715 I tried booting whilst holding Ctrl-Esc. I get the Dell logo but now there is a blue loading bar and the F2 Setup / F12 Boot Options is displayed in the bottom right corner. However pressing both F2 and F12 has no effect and the computer stays on that screen with nothing else happening.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 13th, 2016 17:00

I have no idea what the Ctrl-Esc combination is supposed to do.  But you had done nothing previously to keep you from getting into the bios.  If you tried F2 or F12 and nothing happened, you may not have tried them early enough or did not tap fast enough.

Once you updated to Win 10 and left it alone for 30 days, you basically lose the ability to roll back.

You do have the ability to do a clean install of Win 10, if you chose to do so.  Just don't enter a key when it asks for one.  Install media is available from Microsoft and maybe Dell in the drivers section or possibly a recovery image..

3 Posts

December 13th, 2016 19:00

The laptop is unresponsive beyond the Dell BIOS splash screen. I don't have the ability or option to do a clean install of Win 10. I did the roll back inside the 30 day window. Generally my computer skills are in the 8-9/10 region, this one has me stumped.

No Events found!