Closed

S

2 Posts

October 17th, 2008 20:00

Inspiron 1318 static sound / noise problem with headphone jack

Inspiron 1318

Win Vista Home 

w/ Bluetooth option 

I noticed that I hear some "static" noise when I play music (WMP or internet streaming music). Occasionally but constantly. And I hear the same noise when I lower/increase the master volume between 1-10 level.

I reinstalled soundcard driver, updated wireless driver and muted mic, windows beeping, etc., tried with various music files, but nothing worked.

After doing some research, I found that headphone jack / earjack noise problem is one of the common problems.

I appreciate your response especially if it is a simple solution.

I think this is a manufacturer's defect. Rather than hassling with this problem, I think I would rather return it and ask for a credit (I bought it on dell finance).

Am I still charged with restocking fee and/or delivery fee? I hope not.

I appreciate your response.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 20th, 2008 11:00

You are not charged with a restocking fee if the return is due to a defect. I think that you still have to pay shipping but talk to customer support about that.

This is a new model and I had not previously seen anything about its audio quality. Have you tried running on just the battery to seeif there is a difference, or turning off the wireless?

If you are going to return it, first use Factory Image Restore to return it to its orignal factory configuration and listen again. This will help your case when you report it to Dell.

Jim

October 20th, 2008 23:00

Thank you, jimco. I chat with dell technician on dellconnect. but they have no idea about the problem. they offered me to replace a sound card. but no. i bought a brandnew machine, not a refurbished one. when i call customer service and explain what happened. i asked refund (credit). their representative offered me a discount on this machine. it was tempting, but then it's still refurbished. and i need to repair it anyway. i refused. they sent me ups code. i will return it tomorrow. i will take some time (again) and shop around. actually this is a very good one for a student who are looking for the balance between mobility, affordability and performance. but it didn't work for me. probably i will end up getting another dell.
No Events found!