Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2016 09:00

Inspiron 14 How to Free C Drive Disk Space

I just bought my Inspiron 14 with Windows 10 installed on it 4 months ago.  The capacity of my C drive is 28 GB and there is already almost no space left on my C drive.  I cannot even install my Windows 10 update at this point.  I have almost no files stored on the hard drive or photos (less than half a GB for both combined).  I need some advice of how to free up some C drive space-any advice.  I am at my wits end about what steps to take.

1 Message

May 30th, 2017 12:00

I had the same problem and all I wanted to do was a clean install since I keep no data on this laptop that isn't backed up offline; and it is insane that neither Microsoft nor Dell can give good guidance on such a common problem.

NO, the problem isn't TEMP files or any conventional space issue; it's in the Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder; I had about 100,000 files in that folder taking almost 6 Gbs! It took 30 minutes to delete all of that junk.

If you have the space, download and install WinDirStat to see how your hard-drive space is being allocated in which folders. Then you just have to figure out if deleting the data hogs will break anything.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2016 15:00

Disk Cleanup:

1. Click on the Yellow folder(File Explorer) at the bottom of the page.

2. Click on "This PC"

3. Right click "OS(C)" drive, click "Properties".

4. Click "Disk Cleanup"

10 Posts

January 3rd, 2016 17:00

Thank you for your disk cleanup posting; I have been doing this since I day I purchased my Inspiron, and unfortunately, this has not solved the problem of providing me with more drive space on my C drive.  Thank you, again!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 5th, 2016 06:00

:emotion-2:

You can also check Storage usage - System (Display, notifications, apps, power):

1. Click " Storage "

2. This PC(C)

3. Temporary files. Please post back what you see on this page.....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 5th, 2016 06:00

:emotion-2:

Uninstall all Apps and features that you don't need - especially the one's that using up a lot of space. Please follow steps below:

1. Click "Settings "

2. System (Display, notifications, apps, power)

3. Apps & features

4. Click on one of them, you should see the option to move or uninstall

5. Stroll down to the bottom of the page, click on Programs & Features, uninstall any programs that you don't need.......

Note: Before uninstalling, I recommend you buy a 1GB Seagate external drive at you nearest Walmart or local store. You can backup your files, photos, music and create a system image of the C drive.

10 Posts

January 6th, 2016 07:00

Thank you for trying to help me again for my problem!  I have also tried this. Under storage, it says 28.2 GB is used out of 28.5 GB on my C drive.  When I go to Apps & features, the largest App is MS Office Home and Student 2013 at 1.32 GB; then Google Chrome at 466 MB.  Adding up the file capacity of all of the Apps listed comes up to about 3 GB!  So, this did not unfortunately help solve my problem, either.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 6th, 2016 11:00

35 Posts

March 17th, 2016 05:00

You can defragment your hard drive or run the check disk utility. Defragmenting is a simple way to eliminate empty blocks and put file back together. To defragment your hard drive opens up Properties Windows and select Tools. After that click on “Defragment Now”, this will also make system faster.

If this doesn’t work that run the check disk utility and to run the Check disk utility go to Error-checking section and press the Check not Button. This is easily to run and regularly running this utility can significantly reduce the risk of problems related to Disk.

To know more visit this: 13 PC Maintenance Tasks that You Should Not Forget!

Good Luck!!!

3 Posts

December 21st, 2016 14:00

Hi, did you ever have any luck with this? I have the exact same problem. I've actually taken all of the files off mine and only have 2305MB-worth of programmes but apparently 26.7GB of 28GB being taken up.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2016 23:00

While the suggested solutions (disk cleanup, uninstall of unused software, defragmenting, turning off system restore, removing data on external drives) could free some space, these are all temporary measures. Your disk C: is obviously too small and restrictive. Do you have other storage (disk D:?) if so, you may want to look into tools for modifying partition sizes. If not (hard to believe), cloning the current drive to a bigger disk could help.

10 Posts

June 4th, 2017 08:00

I had done this already, and did not have any APPS installed on my laptop to begin with, so thank you for this suggestion.

10 Posts

Thank you for this suggestion, which I had tried already, and it did not solve my problem.

10 Posts

Thank you!  The best answer I have ever received to this very simple, straight-forward question, and I appreciate it!

10 Posts

No, I did not but see the recent message I just received from Lou-in-NJ which I will try.

10 Posts

I had done this already, and it did not help.  Thank you for this suggestion.

No Events found!