Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2015 22:00

Inspiron 15 3543 not connecting to adapter.

So my brand-new inspiron 3543 suddenly stopped charging. First I thought it was an AC adapter issue, so I swapped out another adapter from my previous dell laptop. Didn't do anything. Led is on, pin is good. Then I went into the BIOS and saw that under ac adapter it just says "none", so I tried some software fixes. Rolled back the windows updates with system restore, updated all drivers including BIOS drivers. Nada. Obviously tried the power restart (battery out, power in for 45sec). Also nothing. Wiggling it around doesn't help. As I was fighting to do as much as I could before the battery died, it found the adapter all of a sudden and then lost it again after 20 min. Hasn't reconnected since.
I think I'm out of options and will have to ship it in. Sadly, considering my product registration needs to go through before I'll get a shipping slip, and the ship in process takes 7-10 days it means I'll be laptop-less for a trip I have planned.

I'm pretty bummed, always had good luck with dells. Owned several for the last 10 years.

If anybody's got a recommendation I haven't tried, I'd be grateful. Otherwise just want to let people know that the issue exists and isn't the old-school can't recognize adapter problem.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 25th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

If the System is starting up then I would suggest you to check the AC adapter status in the BIOS.

In the meanwhile please private message me with the system service tag so that I can check and assist you further.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2015 11:00

Under the AC Adapter row in the BIOS it just says "none".

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 25th, 2015 13:00

If brand-new means less than 21 days from shipment, call Dell and have the system exchanged.

If it's more than 21 days from shipment, call for warranty service - they'll likely send a new power adapter first.  If that doesn't solve the problem, they'll replace the DC jack or the mainboard.

No Events found!