Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2017 02:00

Inspiron 15-5568 No bootable devices found.

There was an update that I downloaded from Dell and then when I started the computer up again all they kept saying was "no bootable devices found". The only option I had was a blue shutdown button on the lower right hand corner. How do I get out of this?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2017 07:00

Go into setup (F2 at powerup) and make sure your system is set to UEFI mode with secure boot turned ON (not legacy mode, or secure boot off).  Some BIOS updates will change those settings, resulting in an unbootable system.

June 2nd, 2017 15:00

It's still giving me the same  no bootable devices

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2017 16:00

It's still giving me the same  no bootable devices

There have been quite a few of this type of situation happening right now.  I have not seen a definite answer and there may be more than one cause. 

Going into the Bios is good and you need to check a couple of areas.  In one place, it should list the drives on your system.  Make sure your drive is still listed. 

In another area, there is a boot device priority.  Make sure the Windows Boot Manager is selected first.  While there, make note or take a picture of any other options you are being given.

There have been times when a Bios will forget a drive is even connected.  I do not know why this happens but if you had the ability to disable or disconnect the drive and could boot without it a couple of times, it might wake up and see the drive again.

Since some of these systems do not make it easy to disconnect a drive, You might try changing the SATA controller setting on the drive and then change it back.   This is pure speculation since this type of procedure has not been verified.

I suppose there is a chance the drive has gone bad but there are too many reports for all of them to be cause by bad drives.

June 4th, 2017 03:00

I'm still running into the same problem. Same message.

June 4th, 2017 03:00

I'm still running into the same problem

July 5th, 2017 11:00

Hi,

You can try and fix the boot by using CMD. You'll have to create a recovery media using the Microsoft media tool (assuming you're using Windows 10). Just search on google, and follow the instructions to create a USB drive.

After creating a recovery drive, you then have to BOOT from that drive. On a Dell, turn on the computer pres the F12 key a couple of times & select the USB on the menu provided.

You can then follow the steps provided on this link - www.groovypost.com/.../

Alternatively if the steps won't work. You can go ahead and do a complete reinstall of windows.

No Events found!